What breeds go along well with silkies?

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I have 3 silkies. 1 rooster and 2 hens. The little black one is Shadow, the roo is Koa and the white hen is Peaches. Shadow stands up for herself and doesn't tolerate bullying from Koa. Although Peaches is kind of a push over. These are them : )
20210410_080819.jpg

I have 3 silkies. 1 rooster and 2 hens. The little black one is Shadow, the roo is Koa and the white hen is Peaches. Shadow stands up for herself and doesn't tolerate bullying from Koa. Although Peaches is kind of a push over. These are them : )View attachment 2612250
Salmon faverolls are great their super calm and docile their also in the lower pecking order so I would at least get 2 salmon faveroll hens.

I have three bearded bantam silkies and they are with 5 Easter eggers, 1 Olive Egger, 2 Brahmas, a Polish, Frizzled Cochin, Gold Seabrite, Japanese Black Bantam, red laced Barnvelder, a grey cochin, and a couple of French Black Copper Marans. Over the past two years for the most part all the birds get along very well with minimal pecking. The only bird that presents any issues is the olive egger. She will randomly peck at the silkies, but other than that no issues.

The Silkies were some of the first birds I got and as more were added to the flock, they were kept in a large dog crate in the coop with the other birds for at least 2-3 weeks before they were let out. I put a entry hole in the crate just large enough so the little ones could dart back in if needed but the older birds could not.

The other thing I did was take a pair of clippers and cut the feathers around the silkies eyes back some. This was so they could see their surroundings better, and also see if a larger bird comes over to them so they can move if needed. Before I did that all three silkies would stubbornly stand there and the larger birds would peck at them a lot more to get them to move.

The only other thing is when the silkies go broody they won't hardly leave the nest at. Even though I have plenty of nest boxes available, more times than I can count I'll go collect eggs and there will be a pair of silkies and a full sized bird crammed into one nest box.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom