What breeds have pretty hens?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
We are getting back into standards, but just a mixed flock. I am wanting 12 hens. We already have 2 pullets we got from a BYC member today, a Lakevelder and Blue Andalusian (I can't spell them yet) So any opinions? My mom doesn't want a rooster, I do. So we are leaving roos out for the moment, but I really want a White Jersey Giant roo! The issue is mom wants flashy/showy birds but no hens are like that. We want standard birds to eat their eggs, so ideas?

Breeds I like are

EEs or Ameraucanana. I like Ameraucanas, but not always easily available around here.

Light Brahma

TRUE RIR

Buff Orpington

Barred Rocks

SLW

Redcaps

Salmon Faverolles

Mom Likes

EEs

Buff Orpington

RIR

Black Stars

You want to see a showy hen? Go look up Brabanters in the breed index. I think Brahma hens are pretty, too. Any of the polish, silkies, or houdans are showy as well.

Last edited:
Polish hens are always beautiful
big_smile.png
Also, australorps are stunning in the sun - their feathers just glimmer, so, even though they are black, still stunning.

27475_img_2305.jpg
27475_img_2737.jpg

Buff brahma
Dark brahma
speckled sussex
anything blue or splash
any of the wyandottes
anything barred

Might as well mix it up and have a rainbow of chickens!

We want pretty and cheap. Right now cheap rides over pretty
sad.png
I wish I could find a BYCer with a bunch of purebred standards that I could get a good mix from.

Check the Craigslist in your area... might find one farmer with this coupla kinds and that farmer with this couple...

I was compiling a list earlier ... in DP breeds the number behind the bird is the high end of weight for the breed.
In the Egg Section the front number is weight, the back number is the #eggs according to Henderson, some also have a S-Small, M-Med, L-Large in there too but not all... haven't finished it yet...

DP BREEDS - Favs7.5, Java7.5, Rock7.5, Barn7, Sussux7, Buckeye6.5, Delaware6.5, Dork6.5, RIR6.5,Wyan6.5

WHITE EGGS - 4.5lbLeghorns6, 7lbMinorca4, 6lbCatalana4, 7.5lbFavorolles4, 7lbSussux4, 3.5lbFayoumiM4
REGBRN EGGS - 6.5lbRIRL6, 6.5lbDelaware4, 10lbJersey GiantL3, 8lbOrp3, 6.5lbWyandotte3, 6.5Buckeye23, ?Stars6
DARK BROWN EGGS - 6/7lbBarnevelderL3, 7lbMaranL3, 6WelsummerL3, 4lbPenedesencaM4,
BLUE EGGS - Ameraucana4

http://www.natureshatchery.com/Chicken_List.html has a big list of breeds, most/all with pics, which is nice for snooping even if you don't order from them.

I like all Sussex breeds. They are gorgeous birds and large birds. My Australorps are very pretty too. I have a gorgeous little Speckled Sussex Pullet. I also love the Silver Sussex and Buff Sussex, but I don't have any of those right now.

34583_coronation_split_pullet.jpg

34583_hen1.jpg

+1 for Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, they are awesome!
Look at the polish too, especially in buff laced, tolbunt, and white crested blue. These are my favorite breeds. I personally love any wyandotte, and there are 17 variations on them. Craigslist is always good, like mentioned before. I put 8 birds on two days ago without pics(camera card was at work with DW) and already sold 4 of them. Also check the chickenstock thread for any CS or swaps near you that you could go to.

Buff laced polish are beautiful.

10376_dsc_0007.jpg

So too are Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas.

10376_dsc_0640.jpg

Delawares can be eye candy...

10376_img_1125.jpg

And so can Salmon Faverolles.

10376_img_1130.jpg

But if you want eggs and LOTS of them, you can't beat a Black Star.

10376_img_0585.jpg

And you'll have a beautiful egg basket.

10376_csc_0013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom