1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breeds Have Very Dark (Black) Legs, except for the feet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheCrazyChick, Apr 29, 2013.

1. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,
    I have a hatched chick that continues to confuse me. The options, as far as what the person who sold me the eggs says, are AMERAUCANA, BARRED ROCK, BUFF ORPS, BUFF ROCK, LAVENDER ORPS, BLUE ORPS, BLUE WYANDOTTE, BLUE MARAN OR SILVER PHOENIX.

Came from a light brown egg. obviously not a buff orp, buff rock or silver phoenix. Someone suggested a blue or lav orp, but those black legs are really weird. Not washed with black on the front, but totally black until you get to the feet. Here are some more pics. Any further ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I don't know but it sure looks like a cockerel the way it stands.

3. TheCrazyChick

Don't really care if its a boy or a girl, just wondering what the heck it is! You are right, though, it does stand sort of proud, doesn't it?

4. agkuyk08

agkuyk08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Doesn't look like americauna or barred rock either... Idk.

5. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Black sumatra. Don't believe when people tell you there are mean, mine are super friendly! But same as any chicken, handle him/her as much as possible.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    what type of comb and what color are the feet bottoms?

7. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    If it came from a light brown egg then it can't be a maran or an ameraucana. Ameraucana's lay blue eggs and Marans lay really dark brown eggs.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. TheCrazyChick

Both the top and bottom of the feet are yellowish. Legs though are totally black.

9. TheCrazyChick

That's true. Hmmm, that pretty much says that none of the breeds that it is supposed to be are possible. Orps don't have black legs. Wyandottes have different combs. I guess I'm going to have to email the seller of the eggs and ask if there are any other possibilities.

10. TheCrazyChick

Both the top and bottom of the feet are yellowish. Legs though are totally black. Hard to tell about the comb, but I think it is a very tiny single comb. Not pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by