What Breeds Have Very Dark (Black) Legs, except for the feet?

TheCrazyChick

Songster
7 Years
Hi all,
I have a hatched chick that continues to confuse me. The options, as far as what the person who sold me the eggs says, are AMERAUCANA, BARRED ROCK, BUFF ORPS, BUFF ROCK, LAVENDER ORPS, BLUE ORPS, BLUE WYANDOTTE, BLUE MARAN OR SILVER PHOENIX.

Came from a light brown egg. obviously not a buff orp, buff rock or silver phoenix. Someone suggested a blue or lav orp, but those black legs are really weird. Not washed with black on the front, but totally black until you get to the feet. Here are some more pics. Any further ideas?

Black sumatra. Don't believe when people tell you there are mean, mine are super friendly! But same as any chicken, handle him/her as much as possible.

If it came from a light brown egg then it can't be a maran or an ameraucana. Ameraucana's lay blue eggs and Marans lay really dark brown eggs.

Last edited:
If it came from a light brown egg then it can't be a maran or an ameraucana. Ameraucana's lay blue eggs and Marans lay really dark brown eggs.
That's true. Hmmm, that pretty much says that none of the breeds that it is supposed to be are possible. Orps don't have black legs. Wyandottes have different combs. I guess I'm going to have to email the seller of the eggs and ask if there are any other possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom