What breeds might be suitable to have around the kids?

Yeah,Buffys are sweet.Barred rocks are nice also.My reds follow me around the yard like dogs.They are aggresive with the dog and always put her in her place.The blacksexlinks stay to there self.
smile.png

I've always had good luck with black sex-links. My Australorp is very sweet and friendly as well. And all my silkies including the roo can be picked up and handled by anyone, including my little 2 year old daughter. We don't let her play with the rooster, though because of an incident with another rooster.

Our black sexlinks and red sexlinks are pretty friendly. The RIR's are pretty good too. They've all gotten better since being in the coop. They see us coming from across the yard and run to the fence looking for treats. I also go in when they are on the roosts and pet them quietly. Sometimes they sit quietly and chirp when they are petted, and sometimes they slowly ease out from under our hands, but they are not flighty or upset by it at all.

Our black Australorps have always been some of the friendliest, jumping and climbing on us when they were still in the brooder. They will usually sit very flat and chirp or chortle when petted, and have since they were little babies. I don't know if it's like the hen behavior, but they've done it all along.

The barred rocks were actually the LEAST friendly when they were in the brooder. They would scream "chickie murder" whenever I caught them to put them outside for the day. Now that they have been in the coop for a while, they are calming right down. They "talk" to us when we go outside, making this long whining "errrrrrrrrRRRRR" sound that I think is meant to get our attention on them, and off someone else. Or else they want treats, LOL.

Our bantam breeds are the lest friendly, but the rosecombs are better than the silver pencilled rocks, which are better than the partridge rocks. We only have a few each of these so our observations aren't as reliable, and the partridges are both roos so that might factor in as well. Our little Jap roo has the greatest personality. He doens't LIKE to be caught, but once he settles he seems to enjoy being held and petted.

I wish I had been able to get buff orps. Everyone says they are so friendly, but they were sold out. I also hear great things about silkies and cochins (bantams). I want to try those 3 next year, but this year we focused on egg production in the standards.

Good luck with whatever you get!

trish

I Love my Buff Orpingtons!!!!!! They are my little sweetie pie's!!!! They are great with my kids, 6&3. They follow me everywhere and when I sit down..they are definalty my lap birds!!! I would reccomend them to anyone!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom