1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds of ducks are the best egg layers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mesa, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    And are there any breeds that dont fly? I have a fenced pool and would like to keep the ducks out of it. LOL

2. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
  3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Khaki Campbells.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Khaki Campbbels and Runners lay more eggs that most chicken (300 a year).

I had Pekins, good layers of huge eggs, they can not jump, or even dream of flying.
    I would say my Pekins produced 230-250 eggs a year.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have heard Khaki's so thats what I have. We'll see once July comes if it is all true :)

6. The best two layers are Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequin, which are about equal followed by Runners. None of these ducks fly more than a few feet.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequins, and Runners. I actually sold my chickens because they were such poor layers compared to my Khakis. I'm getting Harlequins at the end of the month, so then I'll be able to see how they compare to Khakis.

8. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I have a year old Pekin pair, and those two couldn't catch an inch of air no matter how hard they tried! Now admittedly, they're well fed and so might be a bit, uhh, rotund, but there's no way they can fly.

The female, to my surprise, has turned out to be a decent layer as well. We got them for fun, and so didn't pick them for any express purpose, but she started laying a few weeks back, and has been giving us roughly an egg a day.

And, I can affirmatively state that the good press that duck eggs get for baked products is WELL deserved! I've never had cakes, cookies and brownies turn out like this!

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    male muscovies dont fly - too heavy to take off
    but the girls are awesome flyers, they need to be clipped

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by