What breeds stop laying in winter?

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I have several different breeds: 2 RIR's, 1 cochin, 1 Merlerault, 2 Silkie's and 2 OEGH/Silkie mixes. Now, I have three that do lay though two seemed to have stopped...or maybe all three. I have a RIR that just started laying and then yesterday, no eggs. My Cochin may have laid the other day then again, it could've been the RIR. And the Merlerault hasn't laid in several weeks. Out of the 2 Silkies and Game Hen Mixes... one is nearing because her face is reddish as is one of the Game Hen mixes...the other two aren't ready yet. So, am I going to have eggs this winter? Its already freezing cold already in October and I do have a heating lamp in the coop, I have to winterize the coop-(putting cardboard in it for insulation)- so its warm which I'm going to be doing on Sunday along with extending the coop.

as far as i know. the breeds you named off only lay spring-fall. i know the games stop.. (i raise OEGB and have american gamefowl hens and a rooster that roams the yard). i've never heard of a merlerault. what is it?

-Daniel

PS.. Also. if you have a lamp. they may never stop laying. as.. would make them think theres more daylight hours then there really are

I think most breeds take a break in the Winter. I know my EEs and speckled sussex slow way down or stop completely. I do have EEs laying now,but they are new layers and that sometimes make a difference. I think barred rocks are good Winter layers. My marans usually lay throughout the Winter,but they went through a hard moult in August-September and have not gotten back up to speed. They are laying,ust not how they usually do.

What a good question. I am a first timer with Chickens going into winter. I have wondered if ours will continue since our winters are so mild being so far south?

Last winter I had Australorps, RIR, Red Sex-link, White Leghorns and a SS Hamburg laying through the winter. They all laid all winter long but did give me less eggs. I normally get 6 to 9 eggs each day from them and through the winter I was getting 3 - 6 per day.

Last winter I had Australorps, RIR, Red Sex-link, White Leghorns and a SS Hamburg laying through the winter. They all laid all winter long but did give me less eggs. I normally get 6 to 9 eggs each day from them and through the winter I was getting 3 - 6 per day.

Chirpy -- did you give them any extra light?​

Quote:
OT- it's really not about the weather being mild, it's about the amount of daylight being less in the wintertime. Light controls egg production, not temp.

Quote:
Where are you located that its so cold to have to already be using heating lamp ? I read on here that even people in the coldest temps never use heat inside the coops and flock does fine . NOW , I can understand if its sub zero temps and for long periods of time .

I also heard to increase LIGHT in coop to keep them laying ;. BUT , again I read that hens need the break during the winter months . MAYBE someone that is maybe considered an expert might come along and answer ALL our questions . I really don't have to worry about heating the coop or worrying about their water freezing here in Louisiana . BUT , watch me have to eat my words and we would have the coldest winter in history .
lau.gif

Last edited:
Michigan. And it is cold, we have the heat on since yesterday! I had to insulate the babies coop and I'm gonna insulate the hens but it seems she just stopped, the RIR that is, the other ones may have too, not sure because they are slow layers. But this is like the third day and no eggs from her, and we've had the weather dip down to cold at that same time. She laid probably about 8 eggs and then stopped.

The barred rocks are babies so the only ones I have that lay are the RIR, Cochin and the Merlerault-(rare french chicken). And the silkie and game hens hadn't started yet. What would cause my RIR-(the one I'm most concerned with)-to stop laying, I thought RIR's were good even in winter.

Most chickens are going into moult right now and will stop laying. They will typically not lay much over winter either with reduced daylight hours and less feed consumption. First year hens may lay right through winter and not moult until next year. Others will just shut off.
This is all very normal.

Some provide supplemental light to keep their hens laying, but it also exhausts them faster and you will get less life out of them. If they are not pets or breeders, then it's up to you if you want to force them to lay. If they are pets, I wouldn't encourage it.

Speaking of heat..we had our fireplace going today. Brrrrrr. But no heat for the chooks, as they need this time to acclimate to their environment.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom