what breeds!!

easton coop

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Winchester UK
I'm nearly there with the construction of my coop, so I'm now deciding what breed of hens to have. I have looked at White Leghorn, Colunbian Blacktail, Sussex Rock and Speckledies and would like to have 1 of each in the coop. Does anyone know if these breeds will be compatible together or any complications! Hopefully the weather will stay calm so that i can complete the coop!!

I've never heard of a Columbian Blacktail! Google says it is a third generation cross between Rhode Island Red and White Sussex. When I saw the name I thought itmight be a game-type chicken, but it is not. I've also never heard of Speckledies but it looks like they have been developed from Rhode Island and Maran. I'm not sure if it is a breed or a cross. It's fun having people from across the pond and around the world on this forum.

I don't see anything to indicate any of them would not get along fine. The leghorn might need just a bit more room in the coop than the others from what I see on the Henderson Chart but as long as you don't try to squeeze them in too tight, I think they will all do well.

The Henderson chart
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

welcome-byc.gif

The only time you might have compatability problems might be if you stuffed them all into the same 2 foot square space, like battery hens.

And good luck on that weather!
lol.png

Some people say Leghorns can be flighty and not do well in confinement. I have not had leghorns but had a breed that was described as having a similar temperament (Blue Andalusian), and they were so crazy I had to send them toa new home in the country - they were not city/coop/confinement chickens. If you plan to keep them mostly in a coop / run, I would look at the Henderson chart as the previous poster suggested for breeds that do well in confinement. If free ranging this is not an issue, but if you have hawks and other predators, some people preferred darker colored chickens, however once predators know there are chickens available their color may not help them very much.

I have used the Henderson chart, www.feathersite.com and www.mypetchicken.com to choose chickens that have the most important traits to me - good in confinement, relatively calm and friendly and not aggressive, and amount of eggs laid. Based on this I like Australorps and Buff Orpingtons.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom