what brooder is next?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldeneggtees, Apr 17, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, my 8 b/o chicks are about three weeks old now and are out growing their 2nd brooder. Does anyone have ideas as to what I can use next? I was using a larger rubbermaid with mesh over the top.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I also had 8 chicks and I got a couple of toilet tissue boxes from the store, cut one end off each so I could tape them together and then covered the top with mesh attached to a frame made of 1 x 2's. They did fine in this untill they went out to their coop.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Dog crate if you have one. Kids swimming pool with hoop of chicken wire and big peice of cardboard on top. Or you could make one by bending hardware cloth into cube and leaving one end accessable for cleaning and feeding. They grow so fast that I sometimes wonder if the chicks I check on in the morning are the same ones that I tucked in the night before!

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    When mine outgrow their brooder, they are going straight to the coop with a heat lamp.

5. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    mine are outgrowing theirs and my dh is coming home with a big cardboard box from work and we will lay chicken wire over the top for a lid. They are in a 55 gallon rubbermaid container and are getting crammed

they sure do grow fast.

6. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    When my 9 get too large they are going into the garage in a kiddie pool w/cardboard around the sides and chicken wire on top;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by