what bugs will your chicks eat?

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
will yours eat ants? all varieties? carpenter, red, orange, the sugar ants?

japanese beetles?
what else?

mine won't eat the bugs I WISH they would eat!
tongue.png

mine will eat meal worms,crickets, ants, grubs.

they won't eat regular worms though lol. and I haven't seen them eat anything else.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that too many ants are not good for them. Ours don't even try. My almost 3 week old chicks are gulping down small grubs and one of them scarfed down a black widow spider. I was shocked. I was also worried, but my husband said they are able to do that with no ill consequences.
fl.gif
Sure enough he was right. They try to go after flies occasionally...very funny. Also one of my girls (at 5 mo) ate a bee!!! I tried to explain to her that we need all the bees we can get...how about a wasp instead but she doesn't listen very well;)

LOL

mine eat anything that flies by them or crawls by them

and if they dont eat it they at least play keep away for a long time and by the time they are done the poor bug is toast

mine dont seem to like moths much though but they really enjoy pulling the poor things wings off then its keep away again for another 20 mins here

very funny to watch for sure
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

yeah, but WHY don't they like ants though? do they bite on the way down? sometimes mine start shaking their head if they eat an ant... and then they run away all crazy like... they must bite or something? too bad cuz we have TONS of ants and I was sort of hoping that the chickens would solve that problem...
roll.png
hmm.

oh yeah, they do like grubs though!

How can I get them to go after the japanese beetles? I held a couple out for them and they didn't eat them...

Mine are little bug eating fiends. I have one I am considering calling bug zapper because she can snatch a moth right out of flight. She is always the first and only one to get to any bugs or moths.

I have never seen the others turn down a bug. Pigs.

I think mine will eat anything they can fit into their mouths. I fed them a lightning bug that had a busted wing and couldnt fly. They loved it! I've also seem them eat some type of beetle, spiders, I think ants.

Back
Top Bottom