What can’t they just get along!??

wegotchicks

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2017
Tarpon Springs, FL
I have 3 black star 1 year old chickens and 2 younger pullets that are about 18 weeks old. One is an Easter Egger and one is a Wyandotte.
I have been trying to get the pullets into the run/coop with the older hens for about a month, and it is just not happening. I have had the pullets in a separate crate outside the coop for over a month. I let all of them out dailey to free range for about 1/2 hr together. They are still being chased around by the big girls and when the pullets walk into the run, the big girls terrorize them and sometimes pull feathers out. I don’t know what else to do. It’s time to get them together, but how far is too far when they are pecking at the pullets to establish order??
7ABA3814-EFFA-4A12-8BC9-C3BB400AB8C9.jpeg
6E1D1745-07EA-441C-9139-8908498F6386.jpeg

Your set up is too small to add more to it. If you originally had gotten 5 together it may have worked, but adding 2 to an existing flock will be a nightmare due to the size. A territory can only fit so many behaviorally.

Thank you for your input. The run is at least 4'x11' with a coop above with 5 nesting boxes. Anyone have any suggestions at all on how I can get this to work?

Integration is so tough. Cost me some sleep this fall. I got tons of great advice here that helped. Putting lots of temporary stuff in the run helped. I moved all roosts, added half walls, pieces of trellis, made sort of a porch in front of the pop door as seeing the chicks coming out seemed to trigger aggression in the pullets. I drove broom handles into the ground like posts to block chase paths but allow the chicks past more easily.

Just an idea, what about adding a run extension and keeping the young ones in there days for awhile? They'd maybe be more confident in that space then, plus have more room as that may be a concern? Looks like it wouldn't be hard to do. Couple posts and some wire.

Integration is so tough. Cost me some sleep this fall. I got tons of great advice here that helped. Putting lots of temporary stuff in the run helped. I moved all roosts, added half walls, pieces of trellis, made sort of a porch in front of the pop door as seeing the chicks coming out seemed to trigger aggression in the pullets. I drove broom handles into the ground like posts to block chase paths but allow the chicks past more easily.

Just an idea, what about adding a run extension and keeping the young ones in there days for awhile? They'd maybe be more confident in that space then, plus have more room as that may be a concern? Looks like it wouldn't be hard to do. Couple posts and some wire.

I appreciate your suggestions very much! Thank you! I am willing to try anything at this point!

Half an hour a day, really is not much as far as chickens go, and each time you separate them, they start over. However, that is a lot of feathers...

You are tight on space, however, try this. Put the big girls outside the run, and put the young ones inside the run, and then feed along the run wall. Do this for several days, sometimes this lets them get used to seeing the chicks in their territory. It also gives the younger birds a time to safely explore the new place to them, without being harassed.

Younger chicks need to be able to "disappear" and get out of sight. In a hide out, in a roost up above or something. A couple of hideouts would help big time.

If there is one that is really mean, you can put her in the chick box for a couple days, but sometimes, there are birds that never get along. Some birds can tolerate less space, and some just cannot.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom