What can a OEGB handle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourlittleflock, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

she has been on 2 oegb eggs for a week and then I placed 3 bantam cochin eggs under her? (they have been in the incub for a week)

question is - is she ok with that many eggs? (they are all developing) can she keep them all warm? I do know they are all under her and not exposed when she's sitting

thanks for you time?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    As long as these are all bantam eggs, I'm sure that she'll do fine.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really don't know the answer to this, we have never let our Seramas hatch eggs, which are close to OEGB in size. I was curious to see how many your girl is sitting on because one of our tiniest Seramas will try to sit on as many eggs as she can get under her. It always makes me laugh when I find a surprise like 6 large fowl eggs under her little body!

4. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    My silkie can set 6 standard eggs so I'm sure 3 bantam eggs for an oegb would be just fine.

5. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I use my little OEGB's to incubate ringneck pheasant eggs, I usually give them 8 eggs.

6. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks - she has taken to them all - her little squeak (stay away from me!!!) is so cute - she could tear up the world...

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I usually put 8 eggs under a OEGB.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    One of oegb's was sitting on 8 eggs on a nest she had hidden in the woods behind the coop. She was doing a really good job too until something came and ate up every egg while she was up at the coop eating breakfast. I am just glad she wasn't still sitting on them when some critter had eggs for breakfast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by