What can go wrong when a hen is hatching eggs?

eggboy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
CA
What can go wrong when a hen is hatching eggs? None of my hens have ever hatched any eggs but I am thinking when one goes broody maybe i'll get some eggs for her to hatch. any tips?

Keep her away from the other chickens when she's broody, as they will bother her and possibly her chicks when they hatch, and keep her in a safe place. Make sure she has access to water and food and actually takes it - Some will often eat as little as possible, and people often wonder if their chickens are simply missing. I've never actually had a hen go broody though, but look forward to it if our Brahmas do. If - Operative word.
smile.png

I have had much better luck when they just decide where to go by themselves and disappear. All of a sudden the reappear with their family! This time I tried to move my broodies into private accommodations and they must not have liked my style because they both went off their nests. I will try again a bit later in the season. Good luck! Terri O

Omigosh. What can go wrong. I do not have time.
smile.png

She can just decide it isn't her bag and go away.

She can wait until they hatch and then eat them.

Another hen can come along and lay eggs in her nest so that they are at different stages of development.

She can poop absolutely all over them in the most awful smelling mess you ever smelled.

She can decide to steal eggs from another hen who is brooding and is more timid.

I am sure there are other things but my brain is going numb.

Having said all the above, hens probably have a better hatch rate than any of us. Or at least me.
idunno.gif

Some of this can be avoided is she and her clutch of eggs are in their own digs.

Catherine

Omigosh. What can go wrong. I do not have time.
smile.png

She can just decide it isn't her bag and go away.

She can wait until they hatch and then eat them.

Another hen can come along and lay eggs in her nest so that they are at different stages of development.

She can poop absolutely all over them in the most awful smelling mess you ever smelled.

She can decide to steal eggs from another hen who is brooding and is more timid.

I am sure there are other things but my brain is going numb.

Having said all the above, hens probably have a better hatch rate than any of us. Or at least me.
idunno.gif

Some of this can be avoided if she and her clutch of eggs are in their own digs.

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom