what can i buy or use for dust bath in winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ldutch123, Dec 9, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I would definitely mix something with the DE. It is very dusty.

I would mix it with topsoil [​IMG]

I might just end up digging up some of my garden and letting it dry out to use instead of the sand.
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I put some fine pine shavings, DE, and potting soil (with no fertilizer) in with the button quail this morning and they went berserk!
  3. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Awesome I have a black dirt sand mix in there now so I will mix it all together. The black dirt just never got very dusty. They just picked at it and pooped in it.
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Wood ashes...good parasite preventative, both inside and out of the chicken. These are easy to obtain free from anyone who has a wood burning stove.
  5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i use equal parts of....... dirt.....saw dust ....and ash....works great...and costs me nothing!...i sift it all together
  6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    ashes from your wood stove in a large animal feed or water container, or rubbermaid like container.
    Whatever container you use, make sure several chickens fit in at one time, mine always like to dust bathe together [​IMG]
  7. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    My group uses the deep litter in the coop when the outside is frozen, like now. I have DE and sevin in the litter. When I go in the coop, there are little foxholes all over the floor. I have to clean the waterer frequently , but the chickens are happy.
  8. LisaCammie

LisaCammie Out Of The Brooder

I live in the red clay part of the country so my white hen was turning a nice orange color from her self dug dust baths. I picked the divet the fluffy butts were using the most (and fighting over) and dug it out to about 3' x 2', framed with landscaping timbers and then filled in with a mixture of top soil, sand (quikcrete play sand from Lowe's) and DE. I want to add some ash but haven't fired up the burn barrell lately. The girls seem to like it when it's dry but I still have to break it up with a rake for a few days after rain. I think I would make a cover easy enough, just haven't gotten around to it. What I have it working but I think there's room for improvement.
  9. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I am going to put an old dog loo house on top of a pile of sand, DE, and potting soil. I'll just litter box clean the whole mess once a week. it will be dry in there year round. Hopefully, they will use it.
  10. mieastman

mieastman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    I use a large cat litter box with a mixture of dirt and FG diatamaceous earth. Only room for one at a time but my eight girls share. I also add pepper to the mix to discourage use by the neighbor cats. My chickens are safe, one cat thinks it is part of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by