What can I do to help my chickens lay?

jvegas1

Hatching
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Monday I adopted 2 6 month old RIR silkie mix hens. The previous owner stopped feeding them hoping they would die just because they were not wanted anymore. They are very sweet girls and Im doing what little I know to make them happy and comfortable in there new home. I think my work is starting to pay off because there was an egg waiting when I went to give them a cool watermelon treat today. I noticed the egg was a bit on the small side, I was hoping someone out there could let me know if a small egg is normal for this mixed breed and if not is there anything I can do to help her? Also I have seen some people saying they give there chickens oyster shells, can someone please tell me the reason for that and should I be giving it to my girls?
Please help, thank you

Mine have all started laying small eggs that get a bit bigger a few weeks after their first lay. Not a lot bigger, but just a bit.

The reason the egg is small is because silkies are bantams, and they lay small eggs! I have some Pekins (which are like silkies) and they lay small eggs, so its perfectly normal! :) I hope you find this usefull!
Clare x

Back
Top Bottom