What can I do to keep my chicks happy and not bored?

chicken farmer

Songster
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
Im getting chicks tomorrow and they are gonna be in a large plastic dog crate in the garage with the bedding,feeder,waterer,and heat lamp so what can I do/put in the brooder to keep them busy and happy and comfortable???Thanks in advance

alxw

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 4, 2012
You could try putting in a perch for them to roost and jump on. You can make a separate area for them to start practicing their scratching made of sand and *small bits of gravel. Which is also good for them to eat since they need little rocks and such things in their crops so they can grind their food. Other then that chickens are not like puppies they don't need toys to be entertained. As they grow the chicks will play with themselves. You can also take them out on the grass and show them how to scratch in the dirt if they dont already know how. They will like trying to catch little bugs on the ground.

chicken farmer

Songster
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
You could try putting in a perch for them to roost and jump on. You can make a separate area for them to start practicing their scratching made of sand and *small bits of gravel. Which is also good for them to eat since they need little rocks and such things in their crops so they can grind their food. Other then that chickens are not like puppies they don't need toys to be entertained. As they grow the chicks will play with themselves. You can also take them out on the grass and show them how to scratch in the dirt if they dont already know how. They will like trying to catch little bugs on the ground.
Thanks for the advice and i will for shure try this
smile.png

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
tree branches in different heights are fun for them . a big clump of grass w the dirt on it - super fun for them ... - a shovel full of sand- hours of fun . my 8 week old still go crazy for sand to dust bathe in . some ppl give their chickens cat toys like lil balls or mice .... my ducks have 3 balls they roll around they think they are pretty fun cuz they jingle and the mice my ducks play tag and chase w em . sometimes my Barred rocks will take a toy mouse and run w it - until they figure out its not real then they drop it lol

Top Bottom