What can I do to prevent this?!!

Dalylah

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a question, My 7 month old RIR cross has a TON of feathers around her vent, and even when she poops normal feces they don’t roll out like my other chickens so I regularly have to wash her feathers around there, I was on vacation for 2 weeks and then I come back and I go to wash her vent feathers but this time a TON of feces were stuck!! So I couldn’t wash any of it off so my only option was to CUT ALL THE FEATHERS THAT HAD STUFF STUCK TO THEM OFF and I fell terrible because now she is probably cold down there. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from constantly getting feces stuck?

Some chickens get messy butts, constantly. There's not a whole lot that can be done, except trim the feathers below the vent, or regular baths.

Hi everyone, I have a question, My 7 month old RIR cross has a TON of feathers around her vent, and even when she poops normal feces they don’t roll out like my other chickens so I regularly have to wash her feathers around there, I was on vacation for 2 weeks and then I come back and I go to wash her vent feathers but this time a TON of feces were stuck!! So I couldn’t wash any of it off so my only option was to CUT ALL THE FEATHERS THAT HAD STUFF STUCK TO THEM OFF and I fell terrible because now she is probably cold down there. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from constantly getting feces stuck?
If you cut the feathers and fluff back too much, urates in feces will scald the skin running down her rear end to her abdomen. It will become red, swollen and irritated.
If it happens, put Nu-Stock on the reddened area. It will heal it in time and prevent pecking and picking from other birds.
View attachment 2444711

Back
Top Bottom