What can I fed my new born chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken-rookie2, Feb 18, 2013.

1. chicken-rookie2

chicken-rookie2 New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    I need something to feed my newborn chickens until i get chicken starter feed. I heard that you can use instant oatmeal. Can I?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Scrambled egg is the perfect chick food- egg yolk is what is in their tummies now digesting. They might not be hungry for a couple of days though (they are digesting the egg yolk), so I'd offer them some of that tiny oatmeal if it isn't high in sugar so as not to waste your scrambled eggs- they probably won't be hungry enough.

You can feed some crushed cereal like corn flakes, etc. too. But let me emphasize that it wouldn't be good to feed all these substitutes after about the 3rd day of life, because around the 3rd day of life they get HUNGRY and they need some nice 20% protein feed- at that point I'd feed scrambled eggs for sure and try to get the feed right away.

What I am getting around to is that they can survive the first couple of days with nothing. Even three days but then they are stressed. So little snacks you put out for them can only be good if they are healthy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. Using oatmeal is probobly a bad idea. If you have PLANE SUGAR FREE yogurt they can eat that. They cant eat bread grains and ect. There is not much they can eat while they are chicks.
    Hope I helped!

4. I dont think they can eat cereal but u could be right that they could if it is crushesd but scrambled eggs is perfect they love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by