What can I feed baby chicks until I can get out to get some Chick Starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lindz8504, Mar 12, 2014.

1. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    My aunt has some week old baby chicks, and can't get any chick starter until Friday. What can she feed them in the meantime?
    These are her first chicks, and she is afraid of doing something wrong!

2. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Where did she get the chicks and what have they been eating for the week she wasn't with them? Can she not get some starter from the person/store where she got the chicks? Obviously they've been eating SOMETHING for the past week!

3. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Actually, I picked them up last night at TSC. She picked them up from me last night and I sent some food with her. She was going to go to the feed store in her town this morning and get some but they are out until Friday. So, we are trying to figure out what to do until then.

4. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    Hard boiled eggs, just the yolk. That's what they live on in the egg. I had starter for my newly hatched chicks,but I had to help a couple hatch out. I gave everybody eggs and I can't tell whose who.

5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    yes, egg yolks, and if tiny bits of grit can be offered, pretty much all tiny things can be eaten, my broody has her little ones eating all kinds of stuff she digs up after the first couple of days have passed.

1 person likes this.
  6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You can pick up a small bag of meatbird or all flock feed. Feed them that until the starter comes in. feed them starter until the bag is gone than feed the first bag of food.

7. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Do you have any layer mash?

I never give my chicks chick starter anymore. I just give the layer mash. I started doing this after my hens raised their first brood. I never gave those chicks anything but the layer mash that their mama's were eating. Did the same with all of our ducks.

8. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    layer isn't good for chicks...way to much calcium can damage organs and also posssibly kill them as their little bodies cant handle the extra calcium. i wouldnt do it.

2 people like this.
  9. flickerloo

flickerloo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    NW Washington
    I was actually advised to feed chick scratch for the first few days to avoid pasty butt.

10. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    cornmeal, oatmeal (crush it up in your hand smaller if they're real little), greens like lettuce, turnip or mustard greens or watercress, eggs are good for protien, whole wheat bread...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by