What can I feed my chickens besides layer food which I do

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ange, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    I am feeding my chickens layer food. I switched from pellets layers food and crumble layer food, to meal layer food. It looks just like cornmeal or finer. I switched because I read some what they arte where that the pellets and crumbles are not as nutritious as the meal, finer grain, because they can digest it better and when they peck at the pellets and the crumbles they loose much of the good stuff., and meal does not. So I bought some meal fine grain, made from a place that sells fresh grains for all farm animals, it is a reputabl;e place, been there for years, and has animals himself. That is what they are noted forrrrrrrr, and have been fore over 30 years. What are opinions on the grain . Also, what can I feed my chickens that are nutritious. They say leftovers, anything, but is that just fillers or good stuff for them. I have just started giving them l hard boiled egg l time a week, and so far, they loveit.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I have the same layer meal, and I just mix two cups of that with one cup of bird seed or scratch. My birds also like hamburger (raw) and old toast, apple cores, cantaloupe/watermelon rinds, pineapple, pretty much anything. But the hamburger is good for protein.

3. shiloh04

shiloh04 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    I give mine all sorts of leftovers, but mostly fruits and veggies, the end of a ham or something so they can clean off the last bits, any weeds i pull from the yard, leftover pasta, things like that.

We are considering getting some guppies, letting them breed like mad, and feeding them some guppies occasionally. I kinda feel bad that they are meant to be omnivores and they get mostly just grains and other plant matter.

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
  5. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    In addition to the Purina Layena, oyster shell and grit, I feed my girls yogurt or cottage cheese with 2tbls. of ground flax seed. They love these treats and the treats are good for them. Sometimes I can add spinach or lettuce. I found that they love cheerios and granola.

6. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    Today I gavew them grit, chicken meal food, lettuce andd a head of cabbage Hope that helps make them lay

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:I used to mix the meal with seed, but stopped and now feed them separate. I found them trying to pick through the meal for the "treats".

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by