What can i feed my quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chixaregreat41, Dec 26, 2013.

1. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    What do i feed my quail? They actually do not sell game feed around here and i dont know what to feed them instead! I really want eggs in the spring but i dont know what i can feed them that will give me the same results as game bird feed! Please help :)

2. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
    I suggest giving you're quail Manna Pro gamebird feed. That is all they need and you can feed them it for all of there lives. Search amazon for Manna pro gamebird feed.

3. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I hear fruits and veggies chopped up are good for them.. not sure which ones

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Get the highest percentage protein available (as close to 24% as possible) and supplement it with meal worms (a few per bird per day they are high in fat as well as protein) fruits, veggies (no avocado and I don't feed celery so I can't say if it is bad or not). I do not recommend anyone with any other options to do this but chicken flock raiser is usually 20% protein so if you can find it unmedicated you should be fine just feeding that with some worms or crickets now and then and some fruits and veggies. Just be sure that anything you feed doesn't have calcium added (the tag on the bag should show protein/fat/calcium etc percentages) roosters don't need the extra calcium and its not good for them. Ask your feedstore/petshop if they would consider ordering gamebird food first though, many times they will order it and only charge you their handling fee which is usually a couple dollars.

My birds love watermelon rinds and most all greens, but feed them in a pan because quail are picky and will leave a lot of it laying around and you'll just have to clean it up later before it molds. You definitely don't want your birds eating anything with mold on it so take the leftovers out as soon as they are done with them.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can always add a protein supplement type food to starter or flock raiser.

Ultra Kibble for chicks contains fish meals and lots of dehydrated veggies. Loaded with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and probiotics for good health. You can add as much as needed to get the protein levels up as high as you want.

There are also Egg Food supplements out there that are very good to use to up the protein levels.

Be careful using mealworms to up the protein levels. Mealworms can cause calcium deficiencies in the hens.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. mettymet

mettymet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    mine do very well on the game bird feed ,,some of my friends use chick starter ???

7. KCA farms

KCA farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Somewhere in the U.S.A.
    Feed them the highest protein chick starter that you can get, mine do well on 24%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by