What can I feed my two week olds as a treat?

Fresh Eggs

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Hi,

I have 22 layer pullets that are about two weeks old. What can I feed them as a treat???
hu.gif

Thanks,

Fresh eggs:D

For first treats chopped hard boiled eggs and plain yogurt are great. Good sources of protein and they love them.
The yogurt gets flung everywhere, so stand back.
When you first offer them a treat they may be afraid of it. Just leave it with them and they'll get brave enough to try it.

Some people will say not to feed young chicks any treats, but mine are 3 weeks old and I love giving them treats. I'm new at this so if I'm doing something wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out.

Their very favorite treat is crumbled up hard-boiled eggs. I give them the yolks and whites crushed up fine with a fork. I've also given them very small crickets and mealworms from Petsmart. I give them Parakeet grit to help them digest this stuff, and they think the grit is a treat to! You should see them go after the stuff when I pour it out on a plate...they literally push each other out of the way to get at it!

Treats are treats only...I don't give them often...just one type of treat at a time, a few days apart. Like, maybe egg on Monday, crickets on Wed or Thurs, mealworms on the weekend. They eat mostly their chick starter crumbles.

I would give mine scrambled eggs or oatmeal. I use regular oatmeal (not instant) and add enough hot water to cover and let it cool down. You can also try halved grapes or cut up fruits but they just grab a piece and take off running with all the other chicks chasing after playing "catch me".

LOL...that's what makes treats so much fun to watch. We call it "Keep Away"... One of mine will grab a piece of egg white and run around in circles saying "it's mine, it's mine, you can't have it", while 3 or 4 other chicks chase after her. It's extremely entertaining
gig.gif

Oh yeah - I forgot about the chicken grit - you would think that is the best stuff in the world if you saw how they went after it when I put a little in a dish! I started giving them a little bit of cracked corn after they were 3 weeks old. But only give a little because it gives them stinky runs.

By 7-10 days, we start giving them chopped cooked eggs, and snipped grass blades or snipped chickweed, lettuce or other greens. It takes 3-4 days for them to catch on - but soon they start coming over to the edge of the brooder looking for their 'goodies'!

Important - add chick grit as already suggested once you start feeding treats. The regular chick feeds have grit built in - but once you start adding treats, they need regular grit to digest properly. We add chick grit at 10% on top of their feed. By week 4 or 5, we start offering grit free choice.

We also put them on hay for bedding by 3 weeks. They quickly start picking and scratching through that as well.

LOL...yep, it's very entertaining.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom