1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I get with this beautiful roo? Cross with what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kathyinmo, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

This is my mutt roo, Obama. I don't really know what he is. The guy I got him from said he was part Silkie. I know, I know .... Well, that's what he said! He came to me with my Silkies, as their hatchmate. Thus, his name ... President of the Silkies! I love his coloring, and the barring. He is so sweet and purdy! What can I cross him with, and what would I get? ETA: I would really like to get more just like him!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you can get cuckoo x with black..

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    he looks creole....very pretty

4. kathyinmo

I do have a few Cuckoo Marans hens. Would that keep the barring? What about his blue color. Is that blue? I also have Easter Eggers. Would he make barred Easter Eggers? If over an EE, what kind of comb would it be?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cross him with some GC Marans.

6. kathyinmo

Ooohhhhh, yeah .... that would be pretty, wouldn't it? OK, anybody have a GCM hen you would sell me?

7. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    The truth of the matter is, there is no way in the world you will know what you will get, or be able to reproduce his color predictably. Because he's a mutt, his genetic make up is a complete mystery so you don't know what's in there. (If there's silkie in there, I'd say it's diluted pretty well) When you get into the genetics and breeding, that's what's either such a shame, or so much fun, depends on the day.
    He is absolutely gorgeous. [​IMG]
    The best you could do with him is show HIM off. Let people drool over him when they come over, let him strut his stuff. I'm not saying you can't let him breed, but don't expect much. I don't think you'll ever get another him.
    He is drop dead gorgeous! [​IMG]

8. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Oops nz, I didn't see you on here. I'll shut up. I bow to the authority, better that I sit back and listen again. [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I guess that's what a crele rock would look like! Nice!
    We have a banty cochin roo tht my toddler named Jaques Obama [​IMG]

10. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Kathy!!! What ARE you thinking? Breed him to a Delaware!!!! SDWD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by