What can I improve?

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
So in the hours and hours I've spent researching and asking questions, I feel like I've put together an appropriate diet, but want to know if I can improve it. I love my ladies so much and just want them to be happy and healthy. I have 4 sapphire gem pullets, approx. 15 weeks old. One will probably be laying eggs fairly soon based on her wattles and comb. One other may be a couple weeks behind her, and the others even further.

Right now they have access to feed all day. I had been giving them a grower feed (I believe it was this one, it's been a plastic bin for several weeks https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-flock-raiser-crumbles-premium-poultry-feed-50-lb). Based on advice on another post I started mixing in some layer feed (approximately 1/2 and 1/2), with a small amount of grit since I feel like they get some natural grit, but would rather lean towards the safe side. I also put out some oyster shell, but its so big and while I've seen them peck at it a little, I think it's too big for them to eat. I looked on Amazon and most people say the things on there aren't true flakes.

I give them random fruits or veggies during the day as treats, maybe throw out some mealworms to bribe them back to their run after ranging in my backyard for an hour, and they act like they've never been fed if I don't throw out a handful of scratch in the morning. Occasionally, I make them scrambled eggs or give them some plain pasta.

How can I improve? How do I pick a layer feed (THERE ARE SO MANY!!!)? Are certain scratch mixes better than others?

They can stay on the Flock Raiser, no need to change to a layer. Just be sure to continue to offer grit and oyster shell.

I also free feed Purina Flock Raiser (FR) as I prefer the higher protein FR has. I provide both grit and oyster shell on the side, each in their own container. Don't mix them into the feed. They will eat them when they need it.

Be sure to limit all non-chicken food and treats, including vegetables and scratch. The chickens will prefer non-chicken food, over the pellet/crumble, but it's not as nutritious as the pellet/crumble is.

I will throw a handful of the FR into the run, my girls think it's a treat and gobble it up. They also like mush (FR with enough water to make a very thick "oatmeal"). These two "treats" are much better for them, as it's their normal chicken feed, yet "different".

I buy whatever all-flock type feed I can get which has the most favorable combination of price, freshness, and protein of at least 18%. I don't care about pellet or crumble unless I have chicks too young for pellets.

I don't limit vegetable scraps and garden weeds based on the fact that if I were free ranging them they'd eat all the greenery they care to eat.

Oystershell and grit are not mixed into the food but offered separately.

Their main "treat" food is Dubia roaches -- simply because my sister raises them for her reptile pets (they're low in fat and high in protein compared to other insects).

Scratch is given a couple times a week -- literal handfuls scattered in the run litter to encourage them to turn it over.

You're probably overdoing the treats a little bit. My only scheduled "Treat time" during the day is when I'm calling them back to the run, so they keep that habit. Otherwise they only get feed, and occasional garden produce when it's available (so more in the summer, almost none in winter).

Best to not mix grit into the feed, and have it in a container on the side, or scattered in the run, so they can pick out the pieces they need.
I looked on Amazon and most people say the things on there aren't true flakes.
If you'd prefer the flake type oyster shell instead of the crushed and reformed "nuggets," there's several brands that sell them that way: Scratch & Peck, Small Pet Select, Payback are all ones I've used that are actual shell flakes. I've never tried the nugget type.

I tried this this morning... I put the FR in the feeder and threw some of the layer feed around the run and they quickly stopped yelling at me and started eating. Thank you!

Thank you all for the advice!
That is similar to what I've been doing lately.
Flock raiser (crumble) in the feeder. Nutrena all flock pellets (mixed with a small amount of scratch) as the primary treat to toss in the run.

You're probably overdoing the treats a little bit. My only scheduled "Treat time" during the day is when I'm calling them back to the run, so they keep that habit. Otherwise they only get feed, and occasional garden produce when it's available (so more in the summer, almost none in winter).

Best to not mix grit into the feed, and have it in a container on the side, or scattered in the run, so they can pick out the pieces they need.

If you'd prefer the flake type oyster shell instead of the crushed and reformed "nuggets," there's several brands that sell them that way: Scratch & Peck, Small Pet Select, Payback are all ones I've used that are actual shell flakes. I've never tried the nugget type.
Just take a hammer to the bag! Boom, smaller shells! 🤣🐓❤️

They also like mush (FR with enough water to make a very thick "oatmeal"). These two "treats" are much better for them, as it's their normal chicken feed, yet "different".
I do "snack time" every afternoon around 2ish. I take out a dish of their usual food (Kalmbach organic grower) wetted into a mash. I drop spoonfuls all around the run so that the adults and the pullets can get some and stay out of each others' way. Then I go in and clean the coop while they have something to do.

When it's really hot, I'll give them some slices of watermelon or frozen grapes cut in half. I also make their mash with cold water and make it runnier. When it gets cold, I make the mash with warm water, and I'll put it out in several plates instead of on the frozen ground.

It's garden clean up time, and I'm sure I'll be giving them pulled up plants/weeds. What I gave them yesterday has been pecked at, trampled, and will soon disappear into the dirt in the run.

The leaves will be coming down soon, and I'll add lots of those to the run. That is a treat in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom