What can I learn about my chickens from how they roost?

KodiakChicken1909

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Kodiak, AK
I have 2, 8 foot roost bars. I had 3, but took one out to give them more room to jump up.

They basically squeeze onto less than 4 feet of the available roosting space.

I think Banana is at the bottom of the pecking order (she’s fourth in from the right). And I was wondering if this order can tell me anything about their pecking order? They initially would fight over the spot closest to the window. They have literally walked over eachother to get closer to the window..

5953C220-8AF1-49AF-B24F-ACD25A37B49B.jpeg

It's fine if they want to squeeze in as long as they have the option of spreading out or moving away from one another if needed. I usually find 9 out of 10 birds squished on 5.5' of roost. Out of necessity someone has to sleep on the lower roost but it's not always consistent who gets stuck down there (though certain birds are never on the lower roost).

Window seats seem popular, so those slots get fought over the most.

Watching them while they go to roost will tell you much more about their pecking order than their positions in the end.

For the first year, mine fought for the end of the roost furthest from the window. Then they fought for the end by the window for a few months. Then half wanted by the window and half the other end for a few months. For the last several weeks they all want the middle.

Who will move for who, who is willing to try to move another will tell you more. As well as how they do or don't make way.

Back
Top Bottom