What can I put my 7 week old chicks in to get them use to the coop & 11 week old chicks?

clucknpeck

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
i have chicks that will be between 6-7 weeks this week, and chicks that are about 11 weeks old in the coop. I really want to get the younger chicks out of my house this weekend and into the coop. They are considerably smaller than the chickens in the coop, and three of them are bantams. I don't have a dog crate or a cage, so what could I put them in inside the coop to keep them safe from the other chickens? How long should I keep them in the coop in their enclosure?

We usually use a dog crate, but sometimes we use a laundry basket with large holes in it. The holes need to be large enough for the littles to get in and out, but too small for your others. This way the little flock can come out and explore, but if they get chased or picked on, they have a place to retreat. We have also blocked off a corner of the coop with chicken wire, kind of like a mini-coop inside the coop. We do make sure there are always places around the coop for the littles to run and hide if needed though - behind the feed can, in a corner behind bales of bedding, etc.

Whenever we are bringing little ones out to integrate with the flock, I sit out there with them in a lawn chair, babysitting for at least an hour or so. And then I pop in and check again every hour or so.

It will help that you are putting a group of them out at one time. They will stick together and as a group, the larger ones might not pester them so much. Good luck!!

Thank you! A laundry basket is a great idea. I haven't introduced them in the run to my other chickens yet. Should I do that? I left my other chickens in the coop for 2 weeks before I let them out because I didnt want them to think they could lay anywhere else besides the coop. Do you think that's neccisary or do you think I can let them come and go with the others?

Back
Top Bottom