What can I use to get lungs, etc out?

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
Last time I processed birds, I had a lung remover tool that helped get the last of the lungs, etc out. Had to process a bird on short notice tonight and couldn’t find my lung remover tool…tried to use just my fingers but couldn’t get all the lungs out. Is there anything I can use instead of a lung remover tool to get the last of the lungs out? Or do they hurt anything to stay there? This chicken will be cooked while in the pressure cooker…

No harm done if the lungs stay in there. If you're cooking it as a whole bird it's likely no one will even get to them inside the cavity anyway.
I've heard people using forks or spoons with good success before. usually if I scrape my fingers along the ribs I can hook my fingers underneath the lungs and pull them out.

I just hook my finger under them and pull them out, normally in one piece.
If they do break up, I will blast water in and flush out the bits.
I know this isn't very helpful...

The USDA banned the sale of lungs for human consumption in 1971. I didn't know that until I just researched it. It's still legal to eat them, you just can't buy them. They can and are used in pet food. If you don't buy them they are legal. I will not comment on what I think of that ban but just mention the sale is banned. Do your own research as to why.

Sheep lungs are an essential ingredient in traditional Scottish Haggis. I've eaten traditional Scottish Haggis and lived. The Scots through the UK government regularly try to get the US ban lifted so the Scottish expatriots in the US can legally enjoy a traditional Scottish Haggis. Lung is eaten in many different cultures around the world from all kinds of animals.

Personally I remove the lungs when I butcher chickens and serve them back to the surviving flock. They don't go to waste. I part my chickens when I butcher so I have clear access to remove the lungs so I can't help you in how to remove them from a carcass. They don't always come out really cleanly, even with the body cavity opened. I use the backs for broth and if some bits of lung are left I don't worry about it. The percent of the overall product that is lung is pretty small and it's cooked really well when I make broth, especially if I pressure can it.

My son made a couple of lung removing tools by taking some old fondue forks we had laying around and bending the tines over 90 degrees to form the scraper.
65763_hi-F79203.jpg

I just hook my finger under them and pull them out, normally in one piece.
If they do break up, I will blast water in and flush out the bits.
I know this isn't very helpful...
I do the same. Dig in then rinse. My hands have already been in the bird with all the other horrors so I’m not afraid to get lung bits under my nails 😜

Back
Top Bottom