what can igive my chickens to keep them busy?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smf0723, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Smf0723

Smf0723 In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    My chickens are in my garage because of hurricane Sandy and they're getting really bored. I was on a website and it said that if you're chickens get bored they will start to peck eachother so you should give them sun flower seeds but i couldn't find any at Walmart or Target. What can I give them?????

2. DuckCommander

DuckCommander Chirping

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    I've heard of hanging cabbage heads from the ceiling to give them something to do!

3. DuckCommander

DuckCommander Chirping

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    I'm amusing my chickens right now with a bucket of snow. Apparantley that is really fun! lol

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  5. ChickenFootRnch

ChickenFootRnch In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    I've used broccoli the same way as cabbage was mentioned. potatoes may work as well. Make em work for their supper. [​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Don't use potatoes. The skins can be toxic to birds.

Cabbage, broccoli, melons, different fruits/berries, heads of lettuce, flock blocks and scratch mixed into fallen leaves are all good ways to alleviate boredom. I would not worry too much about pecking for such a short duration. A few days inside is not long enough to let them get too bored.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: