what can this be

happie

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Can anyone tell me why the male chicken is not walking right his feet are out as can be seen in the first picture in the other picture you can see that he doesn't sit right either sometimes sits on the knees he can't stand on a stick it started about 2 weeks ago is that a problem is there something to do for it

i also wanted to know if these are the egg laying chickens they are about 5 months old should i expect anything from them yet or when do they need anything special to eat besides the regular corn veg...
thanks for the info

I don't have much experience with orthopedic problems so I don't know how much help I can be. You said your chickens are about 5 months old and your rooster's leg problem first started 2 weeks ago. Is that correct, and what was he like before that? Was he able to stand, walk, and roost normally up until 2 weeks ago? Were his legs normal when he was a chick? You also asked when they will need something besides corn and vegetables. If you have only been giving your chickens corn (scratch) and vegetables, it's likely they have a nutritional deficiency and this may be the cause of your rooster's leg problems. If they are not free-ranging, chickens need more vitamins and nutrition than corn can provide, such as a flock raiser formula. You can look for a balanced chicken food in your local feed store. You might also want to supplement with some vitamins. I use Poultry Nutri-Drench that I buy at Tractor Supply. Others on her use Poly-Vi-Sol (WITHOUT Iron), that you can buy at your local drug store.

Please give us some additional information (bu answering the questions above) and hopefully others on here will comment also.

i am now giving them layering food and calcium but still do not see any difference he keeps walking and sits down to rest is a real pity to see any ideas what to do

Back
Top Bottom