What can we do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtailgal

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
I read the threads in here and feel overwhelmed. I try to learn the new site and I fell overwhelmed.

Imagine having to read the threads, learn the site and deal with over 100,000 people and their problems. It must be beyond overwhelming.

Perhaps, we, the members, can help.

Did you have a problem and got it resolved? Can you type a paragraph describing your problem and how it was resolved?

Is there a feature on here that you can work pretty good? Could you take a couple minutes and type a "how to" on it?

Mods........... Are there specific how to articles that members can help with? Do any of you have anything that we could do to help our staff, our fellow member and BYC in general? I love to research and to type and I'm gonna be stuck in a chair for a couple weeks. Use me.

I'd be honored to do whatever I can to help. I can scan threads for Q and A's to be consolidated, I can type up how to's, I can help specific members with some stuff.

Do I like the new format? Doesnt matter and that's not what this thread is about, so please only post offers to help in some way on this thread.

Granted, if you post the " I love/hate the new format" stuff on here, I wont report you cuz the mods have their handfull..........but I will send you evil nasty dirty looks thru my computer screen. Jus sayin'

It's time to step up peoples. Ask not what BYC can do for you, ask what YOU can do for BYC.

We ARE attempting to help by pointing out ways in which the changeover is dysfunctional ---- mostly the EXTREMELY SLOW page load times.

Prior to the changeover there were some good projects that evaluated pages on coop designs etc. I liked that.

I'm sorry but I think the members have been trying to help all along. Peeps have been great with helping each other out concerning building chicken coops, protecting from predators, ID'ng gender of chicks etc.

This has been one of the least contentious internet forums I have been on ------

Up until the poiint when MANAGEMENT decided unilaterally that all of us backyard chicken raisers need to have corporate grade high-speed internet and 2011 or later model computers in order to access the site properly!!!!!!!

Last edited:
As a choice between "Hey folks, it broke and we can't do this anymore" and "Hey folks, we're upgrading because the old one can't take the load and we'll just have to work our way into a good fit."....I'll take the second, despite the agony of adjustment.

I do wish the smilies were easier to access.... *sigh*

However, as someone with one of those older computers and dialup connection, I just have to remind myself that Patience is a Good Thing.
old.gif

Right. Patience. How long does THAT take!?!?
lau.gif

I do wish the smilies were easier to access.... *sigh*

You do know you can put them back in your reply boxes so that they are visible, much like the old system, right?

You select BB code rather than rich text editor in your profile, under edit account details. Some people who prefer to type their smileys are using this.

This also makes them show up as code while you are writing your reply, again much like the old system.

I really don't understand these things to tell you much more about the difference, sorry.

Up until the poiint when MANAGEMENT decided unilaterally that all of us backyard chicken raisers need to have corporate grade high-speed internet and 2011 or later model computers in order to access the site properly!!!!!!!

Comments like this are really unhelpful, not to mention completely untrue.
hmm.png

Why would the Staff require you all to have something that the majority of the (completely volunteer, unpaid) moderator team do not have and/or can't afford for themselves?
hu.gif
Trust me, Nifty-Chicken isn't getting any kickbacks from Apple or Dell or Comcast. Making him out to be some thieving, corporate bigwig who plotted this move with the direct intent of causing everyone emotional and financial pain is really a slap in the face in light of all the sacrifices he makes for this community. If you have a problem with using the forum features, or need some other solution to make things work for you, please ask away in the appropriate threads. The Staff -- and other BYCers -- will be glad to help you. But don't expect every issue you're experiencing to be fixed overnight. It's just the nature of the beast and we knew we'd be facing this when we changed over. We understand your frustration and we've heard you on it. 'Nuff said on that...

redtailgal: We are really, really appreciating all of the extra time regular members are taking to go out of their way to help other members with questions about using the new forum platform. Seminolewind is thinking about a similar project. Could you two put your heads together and come up with some suggestions/ideas to propose to the Staff?

Last edited:
I read the threads in here and feel overwhelmed. I try to learn the new site and I fell overwhelmed.

Imagine having to read the threads, learn the site and deal with over 100,000 people and their problems. It must be beyond overwhelming.

Did you have a problem and got it resolved? Can you type a paragraph describing your problem and how it was resolved?

Is there a feature on here that you can work pretty good? Could you take a couple minutes and type a "how to" on it?

Mods........... Are there specific how to articles that members can help with? Do any of you have anything that we could do to help our staff, our fellow member and BYC in general? I love to research and to type and I'm gonna be stuck in a chair for a couple weeks. Use me.

I'd be honored to do whatever I can to help. I can scan threads for Q and A's to be consolidated, I can type up how to's, I can help specific members with some stuff.

Do I like the new format? Doesnt matter and that's not what this thread is about, so please only post offers to help in some way on this thread.

Granted, if you post the " I love/hate the new format" stuff on here, I wont report you cuz the mods have their handfull..........but I will send you evil nasty dirty looks thru my computer screen. Jus sayin'

It's time to step up peoples. Ask not what BYC can do for you, ask what YOU can do for BYC.

Thank you! I will post this in staff.

We are certainly not answering all the questions. Different people go hunting for them and do what they can, but we certainly aren't finding them all. You (or any member who is able) are more than welcome to look around and answer any that are unanswered that you can deal with, certainly. We did some moving and consolidating yesterday, and I know will be talking about it more today.

It's heartening to see someone post, I was having these problems, and I did these things, and it's so much better now....
smile.png

eta -- Chicken Lady and I were typing at the same time....

Last edited:
Quote: You apparently NEVER read my posts.
hmm.png
Please slow down and read this one, partsRheavy.

My computer is 6 years old. We are retired military, living on my DH's small pension alone. Can't afford a brand new computer every year.

I live in the boonies in a mountain town and have the slowest DSL you can have-this area just got DSL a few years ago and I can get it ONLY through the phone company, of which there is only one of those as well.

There isn't even cable TV here, for cripes sake.

You keep saying the same thing over and over again and it's completely untrue.

Last edited:

For the last few days, I have used the "search" box rather than try to hunt down information. It helps. I also decided day 1 to spend that night only playing with the site. It's quite a bit different to find the into that you had found so easily at the old BYC. It may take a while to change that "brain muscle memory", LOL.

Let me know if you want to read my suggestions, and maybe add a better way. Things like this take alot of input.

Redtailgal, here's my humble suggestion. I am hoping that some members will chip in and offer ideas that might make this work.

Hi. I was wondering if there was a way to sticky a thread to post on for site or site user problems , and perhaps a list a volunteers that are more computer educated to sortof "mod" or "hover" over it, and try to help people.

I think it's confusing out there to :

not know where to post a problem
not know a guess from an educated suggestion
easier to get educated help from only volunteering savvy computer people
Possibly making those volunteers the only ones approved to answer or help
If you want to help, you may have to sign up to be a volunteer.

It may make alot of people alot more comfortable to know where to go and get help from a person with computer knowledge, and know that their problem with have follow through.

Karen
____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks, you made my day. And so early, too.

Corporate grade high speed internet? HERE?
gig.gif
I wish! If you have DSL around these parts, you are living in high style.

2011 or later model computers??
lau.gif
My computer is 7 years old. I doubt I will see a new one til this one blows up.

Are there frustrations among yes, even the Staff? Yes of course. Do we think it will get fixed? Certainly. We are well aware of the slowness and other issues. They have been posted over and over and yes, we are experiencing the same things.

We appreciate those members that are helping others to work though things and who are coming up with ideas that not only make YOUR experience better, but that help us to help YOU in a constructive manner. I know many of us put in full days here this weekend brainstorming ways to get the word out on the changes going on and the issues we are addressing. We have been able to do this with help of people like seminolewind just to name one of many.
She came up with a great idea that we are implementing not only on the forum already but in the "backroom". We plan on taking her great idea farther and bigger.

As has been stated many times by the Staff. This change had to be done. No way around it. We weren't able to present you with a platform with all bugs worked out and all issues anticipated. And we are sorry about that.

So again, thank you to those who are helping us and others during this time.

It will all be ok. Really.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom