What can we do on a small urban property? **WARNING*** this is a really long post!

We have 1/3 acre so not much bigger than you and the driveway takes up one whole side of the property. We are allowed to have more animals than you though so that helps in some ways. We are also right in the middle of town. We turned half our garage into an animal coop (and right now the other half is brooder space for meat birds ... sigh). Not only do our chickens and turkeys live in the coop, so do our rabbits in raised hutches and our bantams in two large cages we built into one end. We also have a grow out pen at one end of the coop for the smaller birds to take refuge in at night. When we don't have meat birds, 8 months of the year, we park our car in the other half of the garage.

So far we haven't done anything with the front yard because it almost completely in shade due to trees in all the neighbors yards. We do have a couple of apple trees planted out there but they are still small so they aren't really producing yet.

Our backyard, on the other hand, we have built raised beds down one side. So far we have 7 beds 3 x 10 feet that we use a modified square foot gardening method to grow in. We also plant intensively and do succession planting throughout the year. In winter we build a greenhouse over these beds and continue growing through the winter. In the summer the framework remains in place and we cover it with shade cloth to help deflect some of the intense Oklahoma sun in July and August. We have more luck growing fall, winter and spring than in the middle of the hot summer weather. It just takes too much water at that point so only okra, eggplants, and sunflowers make it through usually. This year we have grown lettuce, spinach, onions, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, patty pan squash, green beans, long beans, potatoes, asparagus, okra, quinoa, sorghum, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, 4 kinds of melons, 3 kinds of winter squash, strawberries, blueberries, currants, runner beans, sweet potatoes, kale, basil, marjoram, parsley, thyme, sage, and celery. We also started three grape vines over a trellis made from a cattle panel which forms and arch from our backyard to the driveway. The grapes are planted on one side and the other side has big pots under it that grew runner beans and long beans all summer long.

Right now, our greenhouse still has tomatoes actively growing and setting fruit, green beans blooming, broccoli putting on heads, cabbage starting to form, brussel sprouts, kale, parsnips, celery, ginger, an avocado tree, lettuce, potatoes, and rutabagas. Besides our raised beds we plant in large pots and tuck them in whereever we find space. The chickens have the back section of the yard to forage in where we also keep our compost pile and have a big thicket of currants growing. It's 22 x 40... our lot is 52 feet wide.

We also have a large pecan tree at the back of the property which provides great shade for the birds and an awesome pecan crop every fall as well as a cherry tree and a chestnut tree. Between the meat birds, rabbit, and the garden we eat pretty well and only rely on the grocery store for things like flour and sugar, although I'm hoping to grow more sorghum next year and actually crush the cane for syrup. We still buy most of our chicken feed but they get leaves from the brassicas and lettuce every day and we sprout grain for them as well as grow meal worms. When we kill a predator, we put it in a bucket and let fly maggots form on it and then dump them for the birds to eat too - kind of gross but they love it and it's great protein and free.

We've been lucky with fruit as our currant bushes are loaded every year and we love the jelly it makes more than grape. We also forage for wild plums and elderberries and have a free source for watercress at the well where we get spring water for free. And some friends of ours bought a property with apple and pear trees all over it and they don't pick them or eat them so we can pick at will. (we take them apple butter and pear honey every year in exchange)

Another way to gain growing space is to use hanging pots along the eaves of your roof where they will get sun. Cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, flowers, even lettuce can be grown in them.

A woman I work for has 10 acres of farm land and her cousin grows wheat on it (adjacent to some of his land) and she was complaining that it didn't make a lot of wheat or money for her. I commented I would love to have just 10 acres and she told me that knowing me I could probably be self sufficient on 10 acres ... I'd love to have the chance to see!! but guess we make do for now.

Wow, you've really put a lot of work into your space and get a LOT from it too! That's awesome.

We have a double garage that's currently jammed full of "stuff". I never really thought about housing any critters in it. The problem I would foresee is that it gets beastly hot in there in the summer. Although...I could possibly sneak in some meaties there, since it would be for such a short time. The problem is that it's on the side of the house next to the grumpy neighbor and I'm afraid the odor would be an issue...both for him and for us, since it's an attached garage. Maybe if we put int a LOT of Sweet PDZ and cleaned it a couple times a day, we might be able to get a bunch in the spring before the hideous heat sets in. If we could do that once in spring and once in fall, that would likely take care of all our chicken needs for the year. That's definitely food for thought! For sure couldn't keep rabbits out there unless we could route the A/C vents to it and that would be waaay too expensive.

Have to agree with you...10 acres would be like heaven if it had water and was decently arable.

Thanks for starting the thread and showing what is possible on a small plot of land. This year we plan to start on our urban homestead.

Our plans:

4x Chickens ( Hope to have them in the next couple/few weeks)
2 or 3 Raised bed gardens based on the squarefoot gardening method
Composting
Add to our fruit tree, we planted an apple last year
Increase our canning this year

Wish list:
Rabbits
Seed saving
A cold frame
Honey Bees
Solar power

Scott

I live on an odd spot with part of my lot on the road thats city limits, and the back is against not city limits. Also, my house and barn are 137 years old, so I sort of get away with a bit more than my neighbors, not that they couldn't if they tried. That said, for you, you should probobly consider cortunix quail (a domestic quil). They will give you actual eggs, and they lay all year. You can keep them in trios or even groups of 10 or 12 if they all hatch togather, and let them lay you eggs all year. Also, they lay eggs at 6 weeks and are ready to dress if you want, at 7 or 8 weeks. They are permitted pretty much everywhere, as they won't be very successful in the wild. They can fly, but seem to lack true survival skills. (to be safe, call your county extension and ask if they are permitted in cages as "pets").

Also, for our fruit, we purchased custom grafted trees that had 5-n-1 apples (5 types one tree) and fruit cocktail tree (apricot, sugar plums, japanese plums, necterens and peaches) for our fruits. Dwarf trees only get 10-12 feet tall and wide, semi dwarf may reach 20 tall. Both are small limited size versions producing full sized fruit. Consider a postage stamp orchard, with 4 dwarf trees in a 20 x 20 foot space. Try planting fruiting bushes or trees as privacy borders or "living fences" that you trim up nicely. Thornless blackberry isn't too bad. Hazelnuts are tasty and can be grown as bushes in the back corner.

Some cities allow special permits for "exotic" pets like Nigerian dwarf goats or pygmies. Some city ordinances specifically ALLOW you to have anything your willing to keep in your house. My friend has a room in her basement where she uses pine pellets over lanolium for bedding for her two tiny milk goats. They have a 20 x 15 foot pen (bigger than the ones in my barn) with goat friendly toys, automatic waterers that never freeze, a window with vent auto vent fans, and all the spoiling from the family children they can take. Its a quck walk downstairs in 3" snow outside, to milk on a table by the goat room door.

Oh, in colorado you can grow saffron! Its a bulb, a crocus that blooms in the fall. You can grow these in long rows 2' deep, and trim the stamens out of them when they bloom. It's the most expensive spice in the word, and there is a market for it. Right now its being sold for $139 for 1 ounce online.

Pretty fall border/income.

That's a great list! I'm sure you'll find that one thing tends to flow into the next as a natural extension. How big is your property and what state are you in?

We're still working on our homestead, a little at a time. We have our 6 chickens, so we have plenty of good, fresh eggs. We just have 1 raised bed now, but we plan to plant a lot of stuff in the borders with the flowers and shrubs. We may end up putting in some more beds; we'll see how it goes this year. We turned the chickens loose on that area in the fall so it should be about ready come spring :)

We got our rabbits last Saturday. They're still juniors so we're hoping to breed mid April and have litters mid May. If all goes well, we should have some nice meat by the end of July. A cold frame is an excellent idea; you can grow some nice greens for yourselves and your chickens through much of the winter, depending on temps.

Fruit trees are the best! If you get the dwarf types you can grow a ton of fruit in a very small area. Just from one small plum tree we got enough to make two full batches of jam and a few for fresh eating. I'm hoping we might get an apple or two from our tree this year, but they can take several years to actually set fruit. We also have a grape vine that should make some great fruit this year. It probably would have last year, but I didn't know you had to prune them to get them to bloom LOL! I'm thinking we may put another one or two in this year. Our deck is on the south side of the house and except in the early morning, it's generally too hot to be out there. We're growing the vines on the sides so that they can provide some shade...fruit would be a great bonus though!

I ordered more trees for us as well...two more different kinds of apple, a cherry and a peach. Unfortunately they're out of stock with the cherry and for some reason, nobody can ship peach trees to Colorado. Guess we'll just have to find one locally.

Really looking forward to hearing how it's coming along for you Scott...and welcome aboard! :)

All your gardens are positively amazing! I have only owned my home since 2009, and it's well... it needs TLC (or a bulldozer). We're tearing down one room at a time, replacing anything with mold/water damage. It's left me unwilling and unable to invest much in starting a garden. But we've been trying. Every year I grow some veggies, with varying degrees of success *laugh* My mom, she's the fruit and veggie growing queen. I'm the queen of growing weeds ;)

I'm a stay-at-home mom this year (after 3 years of working 50 hours a week), so I am actually going to invest time into the veggie patch this year. We're going to get chicks, and I have started a compost pile with the fall leaves. I've got a lot of seeds started yesterday :)

I'm super excited implementing the stuff I learned as a kid/teen, it brings a bit of home back to me.

I'd love to get a dairy goat eventually, but I don't know how the city feels about that one *laugh* I -think- it's ok, actually. And I hope to preserve my harvest more efficiently.. looove some of the solar dehydrators I've seen built.

This is my mom's garden:

Back
Top Bottom