What can you do with a rooster you can't keep? (besides eat it)

PuffMommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Fairfield, CT
I live in Fairfield County CT and this is my first time raising chicks. They're coming up on 10 weeks old and I'm pretty sure I have a roo. What do people usually do with them? Craigslist? Find a farm in the yellow pages? I have no idea... Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I live in a very small town; one that I'm sure is very very much smaller than Fairfield. Anyhow, I posted signs at the post office and the local library branch to give my extra roos away. Worked well. I know some folks on here post on Craigslist.

Last edited:
Hey, I grew up there
wink.png

I would sell him. Lots of people are looking for roosters. You can post an ad for him right here on BYC, and scout out some people who live close enough to pick him up.

Quote:
Hi PuffMommy, I grew up in New Canaan and now live a stone's throw away across the border in NY... Glad to hear others near me have chickens too!

Perhaps a local little farm might take him? There is one not too far from me that sells their eggs and produce and keeps lots of chickens... Maybe try asking around the egg sellers at local farmers markets? Just a thought.

btw: I also have a roo in my bunch, but so far so good in terms of noise... Or else we'd have to give him up too!

I just picked up a free bird off of craiglist locally, I also bought my little peeps from a hatchery I found on Craigslist. Its very popular, and usually the people will call you or some to you and save you from having to drive him around if someone wants him.

I'm sure you could ask something for him as well. People do need roosters!

Does anyone capon their cockerels?

Supposedly, there is a surgery to remove the voice box too. Has anyone done that?

Last edited:
I have a friend taking mine. She wants to diversify the genetics in her flock (honestly, I thought she'd take him to eat, but unless he turns evil he gets to live the good life). I would recommend just asking around and posting on craigslist. Yes, there's a chance someone will eat him. But know that in giving them a bird to eat that had a positive experience in life, even though will save a commercial bird from a miserable existence. Then again, you may luck out and he gets to lie out a life with a harem of hens.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom