What cat breeds make the best mousers?

Sara doesn't like to pose ... But ... We end up clipping her, as her hair/fur is wirey ... Nice and soft under coat ... She is about 35 pounds ...

Here she found a Texas Horny Toad ...

Yes, I carry most of the time, except in the shower and bed! (Sorry no pictures!) ;)

Yup, a well fed kitty ain't worth a darn for anything but laying in the sun.
smile.png

Oh, entirely so not true.

My cats are very well fed and persnickity. They tend to bring in the prey when it's been too long since I've popped a can of canned food for them (they have dry food available 24/7). Tho it's more a seasonal thing, peaking in the spring and summer.

They commonly bring in mice, rats and birds, but have been known to bring in small squirrels. Prey can be dead or alive, often it's found half eaten on the kitchen floor. Yummy.

The only thing I know that stops them from hunting is middle age, they slow down at around 9 or 10. Depends on the cat too, some cats I've had have shown no interest in hunting, others are manic about it. For the record, if the mouse or rat is intact and reasonably fresh, I'll feed it to one of my snakes.

Well, we can only speak from our own experiences. We only had 2. The younger was from feral stock. She made it clear early on that she wanted little to do with the great outdoors. A very dangerous place that! Guess she had seen her fill of danger in her short life as a feral to last a lifetime & she found the comforts of being a house kitty much more to her liking. The older was a passable hunter in his younger days but decided to retire at a rather early age. He also preferred the comforts of the couch. How do we know this? They both became increasingly more difficult to find to put out of the house before leaving for work, is how. They would hide under the beds, in the closets, behind the couch. Or who knows where? We eventually gave up. "Go outside for the day? Who ? me? Nooo!" They have both passed years ago & I remember them both fondly but if I ever have a rodent problem I suspect I will deal with it myself rather than get a cat.

Back
Top Bottom