What cat breeds make the best mousers?

I have 3 tabbies, and they are all excellent mousers, bird catchers, squirrel and chipmunk eliminators etc. My females seem to do better than the males. They also hang around better - males will spread out and move on to find new territory. If you can find kittens or cat that are already barn cats, they will have experience in hunting and staying alive in an outdoor environment.

I dont know about that but some cats arent chicken friendly. I have to tabbys one orange fixed male (he alittle nuts he can be an butt)who isnt the best hunter ever and a black female who has even killed a baby rattle snake with out getting bitten both are good with the hens and protect them by God's will. They mostly protect my flock from feral cats and neighbors cat that have killed full grown hens and taken them. My cats decided to protect the flock after the fourth hen was taken for what reason not sure but they take turns staying with the chickens and watching the fence if it wasnt for them we would have lost more by now. I know most say that cats arent that big of a threat when it comes to chickens but in my experience that has been false and true for my cats but not true for all cats!

Last edited:

My orange tabby has been an amazing mouser. Here is is today with my BR. He is 22!!!

*I* would suggest reaching out to your local shelters/humane societies and asking if they have any barn cat programs - many times they will have cats that are not suited to house-cat situations that still need a home where they have shelter, a place to call their home and basic care provided for them. These often come from feral communities that have been caught, spayed/neutered and are not able to be released back to the area they came from for one reason or another. The adoption fees are often waived for these placements or, at the very least, significantly reduced in comparison to "pet" cats form the same shelters.

My mom has had a million cats in the past. In my opinion it doesn't matter what breed the cat is as long as it has a mother that teaches it to mouse well.

My mom has had a million cats in the past. In my opinion it doesn't matter what breed the cat is as long as it has a mother that teaches it to mouse well.

Exactly, I like to take older kittens from a barn cat situation, or from a feral cat that came to winter in your home and nobody fixed. Make spunky house cats and excellent mousers. The best trainable cats I've ever had. Will come running from across a field if name called type cat.

Last edited:
Yup, a well fed kitty ain't worth a darn for anything but laying in the sun.  :)
I have never had an issue with will fed cats not doing the job. Our crew hints for sport, not to eat, as evidenced by the number of whole bodies scattered around the property and left on the door step.

Back
Top Bottom