What caused my hens to stop laying? (possible situations outlined here)

kmb44

Hatching
Jul 14, 2016
I have 7 hens that all lay eggs:
3 of them are golden buff comets, 4 of them are araucanas.
One of my araucana's went broody about 2 weeks ago. Egg production slowed down because she insisted on sitting in everyone's favorite nesting box. Then, several days later, egg production stopped completely from everyone.
Here are some things that you should know:
-We had a large rat in their coop 2 weeks ago, which stole an egg or two. It took us about 3 days to finally catch him.
-We found 2 baby possums in the rat traps we set up for the rat, during that 3 day period.
-The 3rd, 4th, and 5th of July - my neighborhood was setting off fireworks like crazy, for several hours, at night.
-It has been in the upper 80's and low 90's here in Ohio for the past few weeks, but our chickens ALWAYS have water, food, and shade.
-We have been giving them frozen berries, frozen ice chunks with a little bit of corn, and ice in their water feeder to help them cool down as well.
-Our chickens are eating Purina Layena Pellets with all the added nutrients and good stuff.
-Our chickens are not sick and have no parasites.

Our 3 golden buff comets are laying again as of today, but I have not received an egg from any of our Araucana's in over 2 weeks - which is a bummer because their little blue eggs are my absolute favorite.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Stress can shut down ovulation for quite some time.

When people discuss predators, they always use words like it and him. If you have a rat, you have rats. If you have an opossum, you have opossums. If you have a raccoon, you have dozens of raccoons.

CC is certainly right, same with mice. My dad once said we didn't have mice because he didn't see any mouse droppings. Yet we had traps sets, and they went off like castanettes. In less than an hour, he had caught 8 mice and yet still said we didn't have any. I think he was working on being demented long before it totally took hold.

CC is certainly right, same with mice. My dad once said we didn't have mice because he didn't see any mouse droppings. Yet we had traps sets, and they went off like castanettes. In less than an hour, he had caught 8 mice and yet still said we didn't have any. I think he was working on being demented long before it totally took hold.
lau.gif
old.gif

What would be your suggestion to get rid of the multiple rats and opossums? I have never seen a raccoon, we lock the chickens in the coop at night to keep the raccoons away from them. We have traps set up at night, but haven't caught anything for a week.

Back
Top Bottom