What caused my rooster to die?

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
It was rainy all yesterday - one of the 5 month old cockerel Buff Brahma Bantams was not in the barn last night around 6 but was back at 10:30 soaking wet. This morning he was dead.

I have no clue. Should I have brought him inside and dried him off?

I am sorry your lost your rooster. I am not an expert but I do believe chickens can chill easily if wet. It would have been better to dry him off and keep him in a warm environment until totally dry. I can't be sure that's why he died but it may have been at least part of the problem.
idunno.gif

Well - I'm really sad to say the other one is lethargic and has diarrhea - loose wet greenish droppings and he is just sitting still with a droopy tail. Both had full run outside and access to the barn - I'm afraid the other one will be dead tomorrow. Bantams are usually pretty flighty and these guys were no exception - they always ran away from me and now he makes no attempt to move at all. I put him in a cage this morning with hay in it so he had something warm to sit on. He did eat when I put in food but nothing tonight.

None of my other chickens are acting like this at all - I am wondering if they got into something?

Last edited:
He was alive but not moving much this morning and this afternoon I found him dead in the cage. I am baffled - have no clue at all.

The only thing I did was put 1 tablespoon duramycin in a gallon of water and leave it in the barn - perhaps I killed them? I found I could not give it to my laying hens but figured it could not hurt the bantys.

Your rooster bantams are acting like my female bantams. Fine and then one day they are sick and the next gone.

No one has mentioned on here about worms which was one of the first responses I got when I posted?!

have you wormed them lately?!

Not sure thats my problem (as I also could have egg peritonitis since mine are female) but all the signs symptoms point to worms or the latter.

We just lost a banty to the same symptoms (of course it was our favorite Mille rooster)....we wormed all the others and dusted with poultry dust for mites/lice. After a day they are all perking back up.

We live in Michigan and it's been really wet and cold this summer and a lot of people are having problems with worms. I am sorry to say that I never knew that chickens should be wormed, otherwise I would have made it routine.
hu.gif

I hope things turn around for you!!

Back
Top Bottom