What caused the death?

Jun 13, 2022
Hey guys

I sadly just lost one of my flock, she just passed away and was so horrible to witness. Im not sure what may have caused this but heres the history.

Winnie was an ex commercial hen and was 2 and a half years old, we have had her for just over 1 year. She was the tinneist of the flock and never fully regrew all her feathers, she never weighed alot either, but she was top of the pack. About 5 days ago all 3 girls wouldnt leave the coop in the morning, couldn't work out why, later that day the 2 other hens came out but Winnie stayed in, no obvious sign of illness but ever since we rescued her, she has had odd days where she would be lethargic but fine the next day so I didnt worry. 4 days ago she was still in the coop so I picked her up and she ate, drank and ran around so wasnt worried, 3 days ago she was a bit lethargic but still okay, 2 days ago was the same. Last night when putting them to bed, I noticed she was breathing really hard and wasnt standing much, she seemed okay other than that so kept an eye on her. This morning she was worse and noticed her breathing was rattly. I had some chicken antibiotics left over so started her on that this morning and was going to take to the vets tomorrow. I segregated her and she stayed in a cage in the shed and I saw her from the window going through the death frows and we ran out and she died.

She had increased effort of breathing, rattly breathing, yellow poo and thats about it. The other 2 seem completely fine but my husband is changing the bedding and disinfecting the coop and everything as I type this.

Does anyone have any thoughts? This was such a shock for us 😪

For her breed and age, reproduction problems including tumor and organ failure are very common. I would guess that she either had cancer or organ failure because of the breathing issue. Their bodies are just stressed out after years of non-stop laying.

Back
Top Bottom