What caused them to die?

I'm not convinced bread was the cause unless it was moldy or the only thing they were eating. Most wild park ducklings eat a variety of food and most eat at least a little bread or junk food on most days and do OK.
Bread as the main food source is bad, especially long term, but it's not usually the cause of death with wild ducklings, I feel.
x2

Bread is the ducks worst enemy. It will poison them. It takes about 3 days and they will die from it. People think feeding ducks bread is okay but its not. Sorry you had to wittness this.
ransom
welcome-byc.gif

I just thought, if they were piosoned, they would all die at the same time right?:idunno

It depends on how much each one got over time and what kind of poison.

But, there are lots of things young ducklings can die from purely from the fact that they're brand new and aren't fully working yet. They are more prone to temperature changes, getting wet and chilled, catching diseases easier, and are more likely to eat something they shouldn't. They also can't handle prolonged stress like an adult could and can suffer vitamin deficiencies. One might never know what happened.

I hope that, next season, you get to see a brood or two grow up. It's a great thing to see. Duckling season starts as early as March or April around here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom