What caused these scabs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Xiao Casa, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Hi everyone,

So I'm new to chicken keeping. We have our first chicks, and yesterday we moved them out to the coop and run (at three weeks old). They loved it, and everything was going well. Today we went out to play and visit with the chicks, who all appeared completely healthy and happy. One of the friendlier chicks flew up to and perched on my arm. While her wings were outspread, I noticed a strange yellowness underneath them, in the armpit area. I gently lifted her wings and found these scabs underneath one of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whatever it is, it's small. Very small. Her other wing is completely fine, and her vent is too. Four of the other five chicks have nothing whatsoever, and the only other one has a single, lone scab (again under just one wing, with nothing under the other and nothing on the vent). I'm concerned that this might be a very early stage of mite or lice infestation. But in just one day? I don't know if this is really plausible, and though we have let them outside to play in the past, it was always under supervision and never for more than an hour.

I did notice the tiniest of bugs walking near and around the scabs. It was a red bug, and it appeared as though there were a few others like it in a huddle on the surface of her largest, most swollen scab. (Well, I did see a green bug on her too, but it was an aphid. Aphids don't present any threat to chickens, right?) Any chance someone could identify this for me, and let me know if there is anything I should do to help her? By the way, I don't know if it makes a difference, but the two who did have scabs on them are the two who turn up their little beaks at dust-bathing. The others dust-bathe incessantly, it's probably their favorite thing next to eating.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you saw a bug...dust them. I don't know that they cause scabs themselves but they do make the chickens scratch sometimes so that could cause a sore.

3. Xiao Casa

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Okay, I will. But is it safe to use Sevin dust on 3 week old chicks? I knew that this would come up eventually, but I'd hoped not so soon.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes I have. I take tiny pinches in my fingers and work it through the feathers...being very careful not to have excess for them to breathe. Good luck!

6. Xiao Casa

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Ok, I'll dust them today then. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by