What causes bumble foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickylover1999, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Chickylover1999

Chickylover1999 New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    My chicken died one day and I was told it was bumble foot what are the causes?

1 person likes this.
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bumblefoot is the laymen's term for an infection in the pad of the chickens foot. They can get these infections from a puncture or cut to the pad in which bacteria is allowed to enter, they can get Bumblefoot from bruising to the pad from standing on hard surfaces or wire and they can also get these pad infections from certain vitamin deficiencies like Vitamin A or E which causes the skin to become very thin, the tissue of the pad breaks down and the immune systems weakens enough that the bird cannot fight off infection.

If Bumblefoot infection goes systemic it can kill the bird. I am so sorry you lost your bird.

3. Chickylover1999

Chickylover1999 New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Thank you very much I know what to change about my coop.

4. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    I am very sorry for your loss, but thank you for asking this question. I have a rooster that injured his foot yesterday and that led me to wonder what bumble foot was and how chickens get it.

5. WDFlock2015

WDFlock2015 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    May I ask how old your chicken was?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by