1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What causes chicks that cannot walk/stagger?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jklfarm, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jklfarm

jklfarm New Egg

Sep 22, 2008
    Hi- I am writing this for my husband, who is the raiser of the chickens....
    We have about 30 chickens, mostly bantys and Rhode Island Reds. We let some hens set so we could have some chicks, and they are now about a month old. This is our first batch of chicks in a while, and the roosters and hens are unrelated. Of the approx. 20-25 chicks that we have three indicate a neurological problem. One could not walk at all, he would just heave himself around with no control of his legs. There are a couple more who have some staggering, but not as serious as the other. Can anyone direct us to some possible causes? They get regular chick starter. They are kept in a fenced chicken house and when we are home, they are let out in the yard as often as possible.
    Thanks!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Their immune systems arent up to the adult birds, so they may have caught something that the adult birds are immune to.

They may have a vitamin defficiency, so you might want to adde some vitamins to their water.

Maybe they got a hold of some damp feed or straw or anything damp and got a toxic ingestion of something. Or a toxic plant.

So you might want to seperate and keep them on very dry pine shavings and give vitamins and chick feed only and see how they do. And maybe seperate the sick ones too.

Hope this helps, because I am not all that experienced with chicken ailments. Good Luck. [​IMG]

3. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Sounds like it could be Marek's to me.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by