What causes crooked toe?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have a button quail that just hatched this morning. It looks like all it's toes are twisted. What causes it, and can it be fixed in a button quail?

I'd like to know the answer to this question too. One of my hens had a middle crooked toe for a few months, then it slowly got better. Now she has 2 crooked toes on the same foot, the left and right ones. She limps around and she has worn down her nails on those toes.

Crooked toes can be genetic, nutritional or due to poor humidity during incubation.

Jody

The shoe typically only works if it is an incubation issue. I would say the quail is due to poor humidity during incubation or hatch time.

The hen is probably more due to nutritional uptake issues. Try a vitamin supplement on her for few days and see if you notice improvement. I found a really good product called Poult Pak. It's formulated for turkeys, but works with any poultry and even has the stuff to restore gut flora so they can process nutrients correctly.

Jody

ya the rooster we have he has his nails curved to the side on his feet on the right there curved to right and vice versa and me and my mom dunno wats rong ill try and get pictures of his feet if i can catch him

It's called Curled Toe Paralysis. The hen that laid the egg has a Vitamin C deficiancy. Chicks that have this paralysis can usually live normal lives, but I wouldn't breed it.

Back
Top Bottom