What causes crowing? How do they learn?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

My cousin's hubby asked me:

Why do roosters crow? who taught them, even if there are no roos in the area, and you never made the crowing sound? What makes them crow?

He asked me and I was speechless!
    Please tell

2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    this is a really interesting question. i'll be checking back to see what kind of answers you get!
    [​IMG]

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    they slip out after dark and go to rooster school

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hmm.. they just know. I think really it's an instinct-thing. Kinda like.. in my flock, I got the big girls when they were day olds, hatched in an incubator. They'd never SEEN corn before.. but they knew what it was!

And back to your rooster quest, I have a bantam cochin cockeral that lives here in my computer room until spring. I hatched him in an incubator, and with the exception of his two female 'roommates' he's never even SEEN another chicken. He started crowing about a week ago (funniest thing ever!). He's never heard one.. never seen one do it. He just knows..

Instinct is a strong motivator, I think.

IMHO, of course.

Meghan

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Its hormoanal, why do most animals start chasing/seeking others of thier species in the springtime? Its not in the air its in thier genes, Or to be simple MOTHER NATURE TELLS THEM TO DO IT.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    INSTINCT

7. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    They just do it on their own. I had two silkie chicks in a box in the kitchen. One morning I heard a noise that sounded like "aackkkk aaaaaaack". (Sort of like a cat getting rid of a hairball) Over the next week or two my boy improved and now has a piercing crow that scares me to death every morning at 7 am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by