what causes orange gelatinous poo in 3 month old chick?

Perris

Still learning
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
Poo picking this am revealed this orangey coloured gelatinous poo (a bit like congealed orange sauce or gravy) which I am sure was deposited by the runt of a clutch of 6 Penedesencas. For the previous 3 days he's been producing poo with sulphur yellow urates. Something has been working through the flock but most have thrown it off without issue and certainly without producing poo like this.

On exiting the coop this morning his priority was to drink rather than rush to the food bowl (they get fermented whole grains + supps and foraged foods). His broody is still attending to him (inc putting her wing over him on the roost at night even though he's as big as her; so cute) and protecting him, so she hasn't given up on him yet and I'm happy to keep trying to help him as long as she is.

Does anybody recognize poop like this and know what it signifies? I've never seen anything like it and can't find any equivalent in my usual resources. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
DSC00816.JPG

I can't imagine where he'd find that much fat; could be mucus. Are you suggesting he pooped mucus or did it come out the head end? There's no scale there but the offending item was about the size of my palm, i.e. there was a lot of it. He's not well, hunched up, standing quietly out of the way most of the day.

I can't imagine where he'd find that much fat; could be mucus. Are you suggesting he pooped mucus or did it come out the head end? There's no scale there but the offending item was about the size of my palm, i.e. there was a lot of it. He's not well, hunched up, standing quietly out of the way most of the day.
He pooped it out.

What are you feeding besides what you mentioned in your original post.

Some things are high in fat, like Mealworms, Crickets, Soldierfly Larvae, corn, stuff like that.

He's not well, hunched up, standing quietly out of the way most of the day.
For the previous 3 days he's been producing poo with sulphur yellow urates.
I would treat him for Coccidiosis. I would also consider de-worming, but definitely treat for Coccidiosis.

Do you have any Harker's Coxoid?

He's not well? I think I missed that.

I would treat him for Coccidiosis. I would also consider de-worming, but definitely treat for Coccidiosis.

Do you have any Harker's Coxoid?
No I don't have it but I know where I can get some. Thanks for the advice.

I was pleased to see him getting stuck in with the rest at dinner time, so evidently he's feeling better now than he was earlier.

I also noticed algae film on the surfaces of the waterer nearest the coops (which I have since washed thoroughly of course); could that have contributed to his ills?

No I don't have it but I know where I can get some. Thanks for the advice.

I was pleased to see him getting stuck in with the rest at dinner time, so evidently he's feeling better now than he was earlier.

I also noticed algae film on the surfaces of the waterer nearest the coops (which I have since washed thoroughly of course); could that have contributed to his ills?
I don't know whether an algae film would cause those issues or not.
I would still treat him, that poop is not normal.

Back
Top Bottom