What causes pasty butt?

joeyschicks

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
There is lots of good messages on here about how to get rid of pasty butt when it happens, but I want to know..
WHAT CAUSES PASTY BUTT, and how do I prevent it?

Stress (like from shipping) and being too hot are the two things that come to mind.

Last edited:
I thought it was the poo getting stuck in their feathers/down too...
Its not really constapation, its a blockage because the poo clumps on the vent and does not allow passage.

Like others said - stress from shipping and constipation.

Three of my ten had pasty butt when I brought them home from the Feed Store. The Feed Store had them 1 day after they were shipped with 90 other chicks from Privett in New Mexico to Olympia WA.

It's just amazing that's all they had. After I cleaned them, the pasty butt didn't return.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's actually the symptom of pasty butt and not what causes the poo to get stuck there in the first place.

Where is the pasty butt sticky???!!!

barnie.gif

I find if my chicks have a nice solid poop it never has a chance to stick to the butt feathers but if the poo is watery it hardens on the feathers and creates a chain reaction of more poop sticking. Many say oat meal mixed in food helps because it makes the poop harder. I also noticed just moving the light was enough to help alot!!!

There can be several things that cause pasty butt..as some said, stress, too hot, chilled and cold water also seems to lead to it.

Back
Top Bottom