What causes this??? RIR/Silkie mix

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So I have a rooster that I’ve had for a while. His mum was a RIR and his dad is my silkie mix Beanie. Posted him a long time ago about his technical coloring but now I’m here with another question I’ve been pondering. What the heck causes the yellow saddle and neck feathers? His pop is black with gold leakage on his back and his neck fluff has goldish accents. This particular rooster is silver Columbian with red leakage and black zinc(?) but his neck and saddle is yellow.
5C461C07-82CB-4E54-B06F-83A1D3108E31.jpeg

This is the roo in question
F43E1264-A7E0-4082-890B-95A59B8B806E.jpeg

Him as a young lad
0DF214B2-3924-4507-B63F-8761CF2772A3.jpeg

His dad

Traits can be hidden showing up in later generations. Other genes will combine and form a trait in between the original trait. Others are dominant and appear and reappear with each generation. When a bird is a mixed breed it get vastly different traits from each parent and may look quite different from the parents. Other times, birds we think are pure breeds are not and pass along traits that were unknown by the owner.

I, sometimes, cross breeds just to see the results. Right now I have a white phoenix hen with a mottled serama. Inquiring minds want to know!

The yellow in the hackles are caused by the interaction of silver and gold. Silver and gold are heterozygous in this bird, making a color in between both. You’re right in identifying him as a Columbian with mahogany, though I’ve never seen a Columbian with so much black on the breast.

The yellow in the hackles are caused by the interaction of silver and gold. Silver and gold are heterozygous in this bird, making a color in between both. You’re right in identifying him as a Columbian with mahogany, though I’ve never seen a Columbian with so much black on the breast.
He has a zinc pattern. At least that’s what someone told me.
C13BBEC9-191D-4A4F-8CFC-56B81B667B57.jpeg

It’s slowly taking over as he gets older.

The rooster in question looks like a mottled Partridge split for gold/silver. Mottling has a tendency to cover more plumage with each adult molt. The dad looks like he is extended black split to partridge, which makes sense considering the mottling on the son. I would not be surprised if the father is the product of a mottled bird and a white silkie. White silkies are gold based and usually seem to hide partridge and/or black depending on the line.

The rooster in question looks like a mottled Partridge split for gold/silver. Mottling has a tendency to cover more plumage with each adult molt. The dad looks like he is extended black split to partridge, which makes sense considering the mottling on the son. I would not be surprised if the father is the product of a mottled bird and a white silkie. White silkies are gold based and usually seem to hide partridge and/or black depending on the line.
The father was actually sired by a black silkie with a lot of patterning. I think the breeder said like Partridge and splash or something. That was like two or three years ago so I don’t exactly remember. At least...he was SUPPOSED to be sired by that bird. I thiiink that was his only breeding silkie roo at the time but I’m not sure. Beanie was supposed to be a full silkie so I don’t really know. What is splitting to partridge? And what is an extended black split to Partridge? How does that stuff work??

But he was Columbian as a cockerel? I mean, your diagnosis is definitely what he looks like.

Back
Top Bottom