what causes tough membranes and shells on eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tazzy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    the membranes and shells on our eggs are REALLY tough. is this from the feed or what could cause it? we use a feed mix for laying hens.

thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think this has been answered on your other posts about it, but too low of humidity in the incubator or from lifting the hen off the eggs too much will cause the humidity to be too low which in turn makes the membrane dry out and become tough. When they're hatching the lid needs to be left on the incubator and when they're under the hen she needs to be left alone to do her job.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Do you mean on fresh eggs? My son, DS 19 complains that the "fresh" eggs will not crack, we tell him if he will just wait 3 weeks or so, the membranes will thin out and they will crack just like "store" eggs. LOL

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    100% agree with Katy. Get the bator temp set put the eggs in and go fishing for 18 days. Take the turner out and go back fishing for three days. Bingo, you have baby chicks. Not really that easy. If you don't open the bator more than twice during the first 18 days, your hatch rate should decrease by at least 20%.
    Once a hen goes broody I normally leave them be. I have only a few that I even think of picking up to check the eggs. I was told by my grand father that each time you pick a broody hen up you kill a chick. That may be a little out there, but if you notice the broody hens you pick up have a low hatch rate.

5. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I was hoping someone might know if it's a feeding issue that's causing this. It's not just the eggs under the broody hen that are having issues, but EVERY single egg we've eaten in the past year. The membranes are very tough and the shells are super hard. If I boil an egg to eat it, even a two-week old one, the membranes are so stringy and tough that they won't come off the egg.

This isn't about the eggs we're trying to hatch, it's about all the others. That's why I posted here to ask instead of in the other threads on hatching chicks, etc. (As for our broody hen, we only looked under the chicken this morning for the first time ever. The membranes were already dried out at that point. The chicken had sat there for 20 days until today. Not sure why someone said I lifted the hen a bunch? I marked my calendar and waited until today to see what was going on.)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by