what chews through chicken wire?

PAzoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
Dover, PA
I came home this evening after an extra long work week all my birds were out in the yard..bantams and meaties ...luckily the llamas must of heard the noise and the predator left with out a meal.

Is this usual? chewing through? is it a fox or a coon or other? I am planning to reenforce with hardware cloth.. the predator looks like it was pushing 8 inches all around the pen on each side - Do i need to cover more than the lower 12xinches thanks for your thoughts

What!!!
barnie.gif
I've never had anything "chew" through wire, plastic yes, wire no. Good grief were in pa are you? Hopefully not close enough for those critters to be here in NY
smile.png

i will be working on securing my run after work...

it is funny how attached you become to your birds!

chicken stalker ;p :

What!!!
barnie.gif
I've never had anything "chew" through wire, plastic yes, wire no. Good grief were in pa are you? Hopefully not close enough for those critters to be here in NY
smile.png

Yup we have them (dangerous predators) here in our area of NY. My own dogs are probably my worst predators and best line of defense. The chicken runs surround the dog yard. The runs are made of chain link with chicken wire around the bottom to keep my chickens from sticking their heads out near the dogs. The dogs chase away any other predators. So far, so good.​

chicken stalker ;p :

What!!!
barnie.gif
smile.png

There are black bears in the Poconos.

Phyllis​

I have a similiar situation.

Chicken Wire around chain link fence. It's a dog kennel that weighs about 200 lbs. Whatever shredded the chicken wire and bent the chain link also drug the cage about 3 feet. Inside was our daughter's pet rabbit. He had a rabbit box in there.

Right now we can't tell if the rabbit got out after the cage was damaged or if whatever did the damage carried the rabbit away. He will come back at dusk if he got loose, I hope. That's what he usually does.

I think it was something big! I don't think a racoon could do that kind of damage and drag that heavy kennel. Two adults can barely drag it.

Could a dog or coyote drag it with their teeth? Bear maybe? The kennel was right next to our chicken run and they weren't bothered with....yet. Trying to figure out what to do tonight. We have other rabbits in pens above ground outside under a roof but sides exposed outside.

I want to sit out there with a gun but I don't have one. My daughter is heartbroken. I feel guilty! Not a good day on the farm today.

Back
Top Bottom