What chicken breed has been the most fun for you?

What's the most fun breed you've had?

• Total voters
Our little Bantam Cochin was a hoot. -purchased her right after hatch/drying off and placed her under our broody Japanese Bantam. -only chick we've had raised by a hen. She was a hoot! -very domineering for such a little thing, and always happy to run up on the big gals and give them a swift peck.

I've only had 2 of them so far, but I find California Whites entertaining because they're intelligent, curious, and even mischievous. I call them the dash of hot sauce in my mild-mannered flock of Australorps.

Chipotle was the only bird in the flock smart enough to fly back into a pen she flew out of.

Repecka is the mistress of hidden nests.

Mischief, Chipotle's half-Australorp son, was the ringleader of "The Hooligans" -- a brood of chicks who would slip through the electric netting and engage in unauthorized free-ranging. No other batch ever figured out that they could do it.
Wow, they sound very mischievous, like geese!

I really love my d’Anvers of course.
They are very spunky and love to fight. They are also friendly and intelligent.
I have a cuckoo male named Stripes. He flies around from roost to roost and he attacks people for attention sometimes (not lately though.)
And he likes being petted.
I also have others that I can pick up and love on.
Sometimes they fly down from above to be by me, and they like to talk.

Silkies are pretty goofy though. They amuse me.

Not a single breed, but the most fun I would have to say has been our Faverolle X Marans cockerel "Phoenix" that was hatched out last spring. The kids love him because one of the other cockerels that the kids named "Spider" started feeling his wheaties and started sneaking up on the kids then chasing them. Whenever "Phoenix" saw "Spider" heading towards the kids, Phoenix went and chased Spider away then Phoenix went back to minding his business. At first we thought it was coincidence, but it happened enough times that my kids nicknamed Phoenix "Spider Fighter". Spider became chicken and dumplings for obvious reasons (the kids thoroughly enjoyed dinner that night), but Phoenix still has been a great one to have around. You can't really tell from the picture, but he's HUGE and towers over my Brahma hens. He has a Faverolle X Marans sister who is also very cheeky and likes to follow us around. I want to hatch out some more Faverolle X Marans and see if they come out just as great as the first two.
View attachment 3398273
Spider Fighter!
Love it!
I like all breeds for different reasons.
I liked my grey frizzle for her colored feathers and her gray eggs.
View attachment 3398375
Her draw back was the molting, I should have took more pics of the molt though. I am on my 4th generation of this bird.
Below is a frizzle NN I enjoy, but I am always worried about her.
View attachment 3398377
I did get many molt pics of her though.
View attachment 3398379
She lays a pretty green egg.

My favorite breed is a blue Isbar. Below is a hen I had and her egg.
View attachment 3398381
View attachment 3398382
Aww, when she’s not molting, your NN is adorable!

Wow, they sound very mischievous, like geese!

I really love my d’Anvers of course.

They are very spunky and love to fight. They are also friendly and intelligent.

I have a cuckoo male named Stripes. He flies around from roost to roost and he attacks people for attention sometimes (not lately though.)

And he likes being petted.

I also have others that I can pick up and love on.

Sometimes they fly down from above to be by me, and they like to talk.

Silkies are pretty goofy though. They amuse me.

d'Anvers are a very very interesting breed for me, definitely would like to learn more about them

This is intended to be a thread where we can have some fun! What is the most fun breed you've had or have? Not necessary your favorite, just the breed you had the most fun raising, or spending time with, or feeding, or even observing! So excited to hear all your fun stories and breeds!
Every breed I've raised so far have been fun. Currently working on expanding my experiences with other breeds.

Good question! Of course I love my calm, docile Dorkings the most, but as for the birds I've had the most fun with, I'll have to think about that.

My Barred Rocks certainly are the sentimental favorite, simply by coming along as early on for me as they did. My brother and I used to put the tent up and 'camp out' in the chicken yard, and the Barred Rocks were always wanting to join us in the tent and be involved. My Marans have always been fun in that anything we do outside they have to be in on, whether that means flying up to perch on the frame of a coop build in progress for a closer look or getting under foot when we're carrying groceries in from the car just for the chance at seeing if we'd brought anything home for them to eat. I adore my beloved Cochin bantams as well for their spunk and spirit, their lovely silkied feathering, and their irresistibly adorable fluffy feet as babies.

But I think that the most fun breed I've raised has been my Old English Game bantams. Smart as a whip, adventurous and bold, tons of personality packed in such little bodies, and such a thrill to hatch the tiniest of chicks with the most compelling temperaments from day one. :love Yeah, though Dorkings remain my favorite breed overall, and Cochin bantams have my heart and focus at the moment, I've probably had the most fun with the OEGBs since I got them.

Special shout-out to Gwenyth, my first and currently only naked neck bantam, though. That bird has been a hoot and a half to have around here! 🤭

Frizzles generally aren't too worrisome. It's frazzled that have the health issues
Yeah. I believe i’ve got one of those as well. When she molts it will be nightmarish.. I didn’t get her intentionally, she was from the breeder as well. She’s runtier than her hatch mates, has the look of a balding old man, and lacks flight feathers. Wasn’t able to even roost up until a few weeks back, when she just up and started using the lowest roosts in my shed. She can’t fly though. She still looks fairly well feathered out right now, despite all that.
B25FE61B-DC5F-40FB-B789-CA2083C7C6D9.jpeg
1C7C338D-5B79-4B51-B6DF-59DD59589A68.jpeg

Yeah. I believe i’ve got one of those as well. When she molts it will be nightmarish.. I didn’t get her intentionally, she was from the breeder as well. She’s runtier than her hatch mates, has the look of a balding old man, and lacks flight feathers. Wasn’t able to even roost up until a few weeks back, when she just up and started using the lowest roosts in my shed. She can’t fly though. She still looks fairly well feathered out right now, despite all that.

That unfortunately looks like a frazzle

Yeah. I believe i’ve got one of those as well. When she molts it will be nightmarish.. I didn’t get her intentionally, she was from the breeder as well. She’s runtier than her hatch mates, has the look of a balding old man, and lacks flight feathers. Wasn’t able to even roost up until a few weeks back, when she just up and started using the lowest roosts in my shed. She can’t fly though. She still looks fairly well feathered out right now, despite all that.View attachment 3398613View attachment 3398619
Yeah, looks like a frazzled. Mine i used to have is my current profile pic

Back
Top Bottom