What chicken breed is best for my situation?

After reading my requirements, which chicken breed (from the ones I'm thinking about) do YOU think i

• Rhode Island Red

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Red Star

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Black Sex Link

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Australorp

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Buff Orpington

• Other (please post breed name)

• Total voters
henny1129 (and everyone else), OF COURSE you can join in!
thumbsup.gif

The more the merrier!
highfive.gif

I've also wondered about integrating more chickens to the flock. My parents say that if the first year keeping chickens goes well, then we can expand our flock... BUT, we must take into consideration how we would integrate chickens into the former flock, especially with the variety of species in mind. Once we choose the breeds for the first flock, will that be a big factor in the future breeds we mix in? Rhode Island Reds look neat, but if they're so aggressive, should they not be mixed with a flock of Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks? On that note, does anyone have an opinion about Rhode Island Reds? Are they better layers than the Sex Links (AKA "Star" breeds)?? Are Sex Links more of a "docile" breed and can mix with Orpingtons and Barred Rocks? Would you guys mind sharing what you know/how you integrated chickens into the existing flock?

At this point, I'm thinking that MAYBE I should get 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 sex links, just to keep things simple. Since we live near a co-op and tractor supply, we thought we'd handpick the chicks. Is there any downsides when getting chicks from either supplier? Should I get them sent to my local postoffice from an online breeder (which I did for my ducks)? I've heard that there have been some health deficiencies in tractor supply and co-op chicks, but we're willing to purchase vitamin mixtures for the water and medicated feed for them, if that helps. What's your opinion, guys?
roll.png

henny1129 (and everyone else), OF COURSE you can join in! :thumbsup  

[COLOR=EE82EE]The more the merrier! [/COLOR]:highfive:

I've also wondered about integrating more chickens to the flock. My parents say that if the first year keeping chickens goes well, then we can expand our flock... BUT, we must take into consideration how we would integrate chickens into the former flock, especially with the variety of species in mind. Once we choose the breeds for the first flock, will that be a big factor in the future breeds we mix in? Rhode Island Reds look neat, but if they're so aggressive, should they not be mixed with a flock of Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks? On that note, does anyone have an opinion about Rhode Island Reds? Are they better layers than the Sex Links (AKA "Star" breeds)?? Are Sex Links more of a "docile" breed and can mix with Orpingtons and Barred Rocks? Would you guys mind sharing what you know/how you integrated chickens into the existing flock?

At this point, I'm thinking that MAYBE I should get 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 sex links, just to keep things simple. Since we live near a co-op and tractor supply, we thought we'd handpick the chicks. Is there any downsides when getting chicks from either supplier? Should I get them sent to my local postoffice from an online breeder (which I did for my ducks)? I've heard that there have been some health deficiencies in tractor supply and co-op chicks, but we're willing to purchase vitamin mixtures for the water and medicated feed for them, if that helps. What's your opinion, guys?
:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Well, integrating new birds into a flock can be difficult, but there are some methods that make it easier. One method is to keep your new chicks in a cage in the coop or put chicken wire up across 1/4 or 1/2 of the coop and keep the chicks in this enclosure for a week or a little longer. I prefer the chicken wire vs the cage because it allows the chicks more room. And of course you can take the chicks out of the chicken wired area and let them play outside too, under your supervision. By the big hens getting to see the little chicks they will get used to them and the chicks will get used to the big hens too. When you take down the chicken wire, there will still be some squabbling to figure out the new pecking order, but it won't be as bad. There's a few more methods, so if you want to research those too, just PM me. I don't want to bore you or anyone else by saying them if you don't have to hear them! :)

RIR's are said to be aggressive birds, even the hens. I've had an RIR hen that was aggressive and assertive too. It's your decision, but if it was me I wouldn't get them. And RIR's definitely DO NOT lay more eggs than Sex Links.

I suppose Sex Links are "docile", but more with humans than other birds. We've had a ton of Sex Links and we found that Sex Links get along great with other Sex Links, but anyone else, not as much. And when they get older, they get grumpier and grumpier and eventually don't like anyone and lay a lot less eggs! And by old I mean two years old. :/

If you go with a hatchery or a farm store/co-op I don't think you'll see much of a difference. We've gotten chicks from TSC, Family Farm & Home, and some from a guy who got his from Meyer Hatchery. We had the worst expierience with the guy who got the birds form Meyer Hatchery, but the birds were bad because of how the guy took care of them. Family Farm & Home has great birds, but the employees are very misinformed and often times give you the wrong birds. We've had the best experience with TSC, but I'm sure a co-op would be good too because they are local. Hope this helps! :D

Do you guys think that 2 extra Easter Eggers would mix good with the breeds I had in mind for my "future flock"? (2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Sex Links) I'm pretty sure that Easter Eggers are pretty passive chickens, but has anyone had bad experiences with them? Would 8 chickens be too much for a starter flock? My family thinks it would be fun to have some colorful eggs...
idunno.gif

Easter Eggers are amazing birds, and our Buffs just adore them! The only thing I'll say is that when you get EE's you'll probably be dissappinted. I was because I found that the EE's were spazzes! But, once they get right to laying age, it's like they go through a transformation and become the friendliest birds ever and stay like this. That's the only thing I have to say about EE's. :)

I don't think 8 is to much for a starter flock, good gracious we had 10! :lol: And you guys have expierience with ducks, so I truly think you will be fine! :D I do love the EE's colorful eggs!

Back
Top Bottom